Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just have a couple questions relating to my dogs behavior. He acted very aggressively towards another dog today, and I want to know why! It was very upsetting to me, Rudy has been through 2 dog classes (where he met and seemed to get along with other dogs) and encountered countless dogs because I made an effort to socialize him with other dogs, and NEVER have I seen him act this way (except once when he met an un-nuetered male when he was also un-neutered and had raging hormones/was humping everything, but it wasn't this bad).

I was visiting a friend's house and I took Rudy along with me- they have two dogs- one medium dog and one dog that is Rudy's size. Rudy got along fine with their medium sized dog (he annoyed him a bit with his puppy antics) when we hiked together/visited another time. This was Rudy's first time visiting their newer larger dog, he is a pure white blue eyed boxer (just specifying because I don't think Rudy has ever seen a blue eyed white dog before, so this could have something to do with his reaction to this dog- the fact that he has not been socialized with a dog that looks like this??)- they're both neutered males. I didn't expect any sort of dog aggression problems (I do expect rambunctious puppy behavior from Rudy).

They did the usual doggy greeting, Rudy was anxious to meet him (he is always anxious to meet dogs, I need to do some 'ignore it' training with him) sniffing each other, everything seemed ok, both his owner and I were standing there. Then the other dog sort of walked away a few feet, I had Rudy on leash, and I guess he was staring at Rudy or something, because Rudy went crazy within 30 seconds or so. It wasn't because he wanted to play with the dog, it was clearly upset angry behavior. I think it had to do with the other dog staring at him? The dog was just standing there, fur up, staring Rudy straight in the eyes. It was very out of character for Rudy to react the way he did, he was lunging and very agitated, barking and acting upset, I hate to admit he was snarling... Something about that dog's behavior really upset him in a way I have never seen him react before. I'm not blaming the other dog, but I feel the need to know what triggered Rudy. I attempted to calm him down, distract him with treats so he could regain his cool, I made sure to try to block his view, and then got him back into the car and out of sight of the other dog (meanwhile the other dog still continued to stare at him, its not anyone's fault he was off leash and not in range of Rudy and it was all very shocking.). Rudy looks like a rottweiler, and I really don't ever want to have this behavior happen again publicly because I think he will be typecast as the 'vicious rottweiler' stereotype.

I researched this a little bit, from what I understand its bad 'manners' for a dog to stare at another dog? I just really don't want to believe this behavior will be a major issue, as he always seems to like other dogs. If it could be, I would love advice as to how to better prevent this sort of thing from happening again, and to what might have caused it... I'll take any input I can get.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to add that the other dog didn't exhibit overt aggressive behavior or really react to Rudy's behavior...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The other dog threatened him and he reacted. It's normal. However, you don't want him to attack, so work on the leave it command. I teach my dogs not to socialize with others. They work, and must be in close contact with other dogs, and can not fight! They are also all highly reactive to threats. When a dog approaches, I give leave it, if necessary, and we go about our business. They do get to play, in certain situations, but must remain neutral any other time.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I am a former boxer owner, so this isn't breed bias. However, boxers, for all of their "forwardness" seem uniquely able to piss off or trigger other dogs. Their eyes are prominent and forward and their personalities are forward too. They tend to be boisterous and have an odd play style.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just redirect, train, move on. Boxers are in a class all to themselves!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Boxer do seem to have a way of making other dogs dislike them.
Is the Boxer deaf? Deaf dogs can also have some trouble in getting the right messages from other dogs and sending the right messages.
Sounds like the other dog just plain ol' ticked off Rudy. Stared him down, hard posture.
Even the nicest dogs will sometimes meet a dog they don't like.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would like to add that the other dog didn't exhibit overt aggressive behavior or really react to Rudy's behavior...
You say he was stariing and had his fur up? That's a pretty clear message of overstimulation. I'd also like to know if he was up on his toes and leaning forward. It sounds like the type of stance that would set a lot of dogs up to react badly. If it happens again, get your dog some distance. Staying in the spot where your dog is reacting doesn't help.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
It's okay for your dog to not love every dog. Do you love every person you meet? :) I'm with the others -- teach a "leave it" type of command, and remove your dog from the situation. Don't leave him there to become more and more antagonized by a pushy or rude dog.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota loooooooves other dogs. I hesitate to get a second dog because I fear he might have no use for me after that, he likes other dogs so much.

But a West Highland Terrier did the sane thing to Kabota- got right in his face, full on stare, stuff body language and Kabota attacked him. Well, tried to, I held the leash back. To everyone that saw this, I'm sure it looked like Kabota was attacking for no reason, but the Westie provoked him. I tried to tell the owner that- I really am concerned the Westie will start with a dog actually capable of doing him harm- but people blame the dog who bites first, no matter which dog started it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I didn't know that about boxers.
It could be the dog was staring at him. It all happened very fast, I remember the staring, but a part of me isn't sure if the other dog was staring first or if he started staring after. I'm not sure, I thought he was staring (the dog apparently wasn't socialized much when he was young as his previous owners kept him locked up all the time.)

I'm starting to think it might have been the fact that I had my treat pouch on me... I figured this might be a factor today. Ug, my dog has terrible terrible resource guarding issues, and the fact that I'm not a superb trainer (i'm mediocre but trying!) has not helped things. I didn't realize how bad it was with other animals around until today. I mean, I won't play ignorant I know he has resource guarding issues, but now my eyes are wide open I need to work with him alot on this. I've trained him to be less aggressive when he's eating out of his food bowl (when I approach him), but he reacts VERY aggressively when other animals come near food.
I learned this after our neighbors stupid lab (that dang thing comes running at Rudy barking her head off, she is VERY RUDE. Rudy had never reacted poorly to her before, in spite of this, he had always just tried to play with her, but the stupid thing just barks at him). Of course, right before this happened my treat pouch fell off my pants and a bunch of treats spilled- so here I am picking up treats from the ground, Rudy is trying to steal whatever he can from me, and that stupid dog comes running over barking at the top of her lungs and Rudy reacted the same way as with the other dog! Again, I had to physically restrain him, and the other dog wasn't getting the message (she is such an idiot, cute, but an idiot!).

I think the other day may have been a combination of the treat bag/staring by the other dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts