Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I have decided we are ready to get a puppy. I was wondering if anyone in the Rochester, NY area could recommend any reputable breeders or adoption agencies? We don't have one particular breed in mind. We live in an apartment setting so we would need a dog that would be okay with apartment living. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The first thing you need to do is decide on what breed(s) and/or mix(es) you are interested in, and that would fit with your lifestyle and tastes. For example, retired racing Greyhounds can make fantastic apartment dogs, but if you don't want a 50-ish pound dog, they they aren't for you. Conversely, a lot of smaller dogs, like a Parson Russel Terrier or the like, while being smaller, require a lot of physical and mental stimulation, which can make then lousy apartment dogs. Seriously... my brother had to give his Italian Greyhound to our mother because he was about to be kicked out of his apartment over the dog barking so much, yet his Great Pyrenees was an extremely calm, quiet dog that the neighbors didn't mind.

So, first things first: What is your previous experience with dogs? What size dog do you want? How much exercise are you (realistically) willing to give your dog? How much time, effort, and money are you (again, realistically) willing to put into grooming? Are there any size/breed restrictions imposed by your landlord? Are there any BSL restrictions where you live (BSL is stupid and useless, but still something you need to consider)?

Another thing to consider is that puppies take a lot. A lot of time. A lot of energy. A lot of training. A lot of tearing your hair out, wondering what in the heck you've gotten yourself into. Getting an adult dog will usually put you ahead of the game when it comes to things like house training and chewing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We would like a small to medium sized dog. We both grew up with dogs. I had a shihpoo and my fiance had a chihuahua, a husky, and a lab mix. We would like a breed with moderate energy. I love to go for runs/walks daily and we like to hike on the weekends. I work for a school so I have a lot of time off to train the dog. We do travel very frequently so we would need a breed that can travel in the car and adapt well to strangers. I used to groom my family dog on a monthly basis and I am willing to groom them as needed so they are comfortable and happy. There is no current weight limit at our apartment complex but there are breed restrictions (no pitbulls, rottweilers, dobermans).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts