Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I live close enough to walk to bank, Post office, library, grocery, etc. My problem is it seems a shame to walk up there (about a mile) without my dog going along. BUT, there is no place to tie him once we are there. All bike racks, benches, etc. have been removed and the columns holding up the roof overhanging the sidewalk are huge brick things, 2-2½ ft. square. Does anyone have a convenient way to secure the dog in such a situation? It should be relatively light weight b/c I often have my grocery totes full on the way back.

I'm really honked that they took away the bike racks. I used to ride up there all the time, dog either hooked to back hub, or in a trailer now days since he can't run as fast as he used to. But I'm not leaving that rig for someone to steal. They'd probably take the bike and him too just to make a fast getaway, then drop him to fend for himself.

In this age when they are trying to encourage energy conservation, why do they discourage those of us who wish to travel via "human power"?

·
Banned
127 Posts
What I would do is bring another lenght of rope (leash?) to wrape around one of the large pillars and attack my dogs leash to that tether line. Its so sad that dogs are being more and more regulated to the fringes of society. Here in France often there is a special place to tie your dog next to the shopes just for them with a water bowl.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Billycourty for the response. It certainly is sad that no one considers our canine companions when designing public spaces. Sadly, I don't think a rope would work, in our case. I guess I knew that instinctively. This particular dog has chewed through nylon leashes, etc ever since he was a puppy. It would not hold. Now is main leash is leather and he does not chew on that. You'd think it would be just the opposite, wouldn't you? But I'm sure that the rope would work for most people. I wonder if I could find a strip of leather long enough to do the trick.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd never leave my dog unattended in front of a store. Too easy for him to be stolen, or someone to kick him, feed him something toxic, hurt him, or claim he bit them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, I tied him to the handle inside the postal express store this AM, he was outside and I was inside, right in sight, looking at him. There was no one in the store but me and all I needed were some stamps. So in & out. But a couple came up before I got back out (no more than one minute, tops) and complained about him being there.

I'm not convinced there is no way to safely leave them for the few minutes you are in the store. I'm sure someone has come up with something I have not thought of yet. It is just a crying shame not to take them along when you are actually doing something useful on foot, not merely a walk contrived to give them exercise, which is less than optimal for both of us (you).

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
In my city it's actually illegal to leave a dog tied up unattended. Lots of people still do it, but some stores will call and have you ticketed. So I would look into that before you get too bent out of shape.

Also, not sure if this is a problem where you live, but several people where I live have actually had their dogs stolen when they were left tied up in front of busy stores. I would never be able to forgive myself! I can't believe this hasn't crossed your mind.

Finally, keep in mind that many stores will allow well-behaved dogs inside. Where I live, places that serve or sell food are generally off limits, but many banks, hardware stores, liquor stores, dry cleaners and similar are fine with it, even with bigger dogs, as long as the dog is quiet and friendly. I agree that it's a shame this isn't more widespread. I go out of my way to give my business to these establishments.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah, I don't feel comfortable tying my dogs outside stores either. One of mine can be aggressive, so that's OBVIOUSLY out!! The other is very friendly and I don't want someone to take her.

Have you asked about bringing dogs into any of the establishments? Or, just try it and see what happens ;). Obviously any store serving or selling food is out, probably the library too, but you might be suprised at where you can bring a nice, well-behaved, dog. I bring my friendly dog into the bank, the Post Office, hardware stores, garden centers, the local Agway... In the city I used to work in, there were several clothing stores and a bookstore that did not mind dogs. It was interesting trying on dresses with a dog in the dressing room with me, but the stores were, suprisingly, cool with it.

Last year, my husband and I were at a Verizon store, trying to get our cell phones upgraded, it was taking a while and we were taking turns holding the dog outside...one of the sales guys told us she could just come on it. Surprise! Most of the time, I don't ask, because there's often a knee jerk "no", but if I walk right in with her and she's good and quiet, people don't say anything, some clerks even come up to pet her or fuss over her at the register.

·
Registered
894 Posts
hmmm, different countries different rules *lol* in switzerland its totally normal to leave a dog outside of a store or something. we even have those special hooks to put the leash in, when you go to places. also we bring our dogs everywhere...just not grocery stores (not allowed) but all other stores, restaurants, buses, trains, ... . no on leash rules either when you walk your dog. just a few places or during hunting season. :)
sorry, no advice, just what came to my mind when i was reading this.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't know where you live, but I would never leave my dogs tied up and unattended. Too easy to steal. I could never live with myself.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I'm sure someone has come up with something I have not thought of yet. QUOTE]

Have you tried walking your dog with Another Person?

The other person could stay with the dog when you go inside the store...
Maybe the other person could be a wife or husband..or a child..or a close friend that also owns a dog.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If your dog cannot go into the business with you, leave him home. Tying him up ANYWHERE and leaving him is completely irresponsible, where you can "see him" or not. The fact that you were stood inside watching isn't going to help him if and when something nasty happens to him.

I wouldn't leave a toddler tied up to a pole so I could go inside a bar "really quick," either.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
In FL it is legal for me to take your dog to the pound of call the police if I see him tied alone. It's also legal for me to bust out your car window if its hot out and you leave your dog in the car.

Why would you even think you leave your dog unattended? Bad things happen, and they happen fast. He would be gone or hurt, before you could blink.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Thats also very good advice...!!
(Just in case you where thinking about tying a toddler to a pole ..and going into a bar)...
Don't laugh, it happend at the bar near my house. It is a red neck bar, but still. I understand horses, but kids and dogs?????? NNNoooooooo......

·
Super Moderator
11,734 Posts
Here's a little story. It's a rerun, but I'm old so I get to tell the same story over and over and over . . .

Years ago, my wife took our giant lab Cubby, a.k.a. Dogzilla, for a long walk. She decided she needed to get a few groceries and she knew better than to tie him outside - even briefly.

Apparently, she DIDN'T know better than to take a dog into a grocery store. She and Cubby were examining melons when a teen-age manager ran up to them, waiving his arms and screeching, "Ma'am, you can't have a DOG in here!!"

When she told me the story later, she said there were no signs on the door preventing dogs from accompanying their owners. I told her there were no signs saying you couldn't drive you car into the store either. You're just supposed to know that.

We could write a book about all the places she took that dog where he wasn't allowed.

In simpler times (36 years ago) in a far-away land known as Santa Barbara, I used to take my Irish setter everywhere with me. She would wait outside the little shops for me, untied. She had been a street dog for some time before she adopted me, and nobody could approach her if she didn't want to be approached. She would just disappear and reappear when I had completed my business.

It was probably unwise even then. Now, it would be unthinkable.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
When I went to Home Depot one time, there was a young, small puppy scurrying around in the parking lot. I tried for about 20 min to catch him, but he kept running under cars. Then I saw one of the employees and he came over and told me the dog belonged to someone inside shopping, and that he had told him he could bring him in, and he said "that's ok", and just left him loose, with no leash outside the front door. IDIOT. I told the employee to go in and page him, and when he talked to him, to tell him, he has 2 min to get his dog, or I am calling the police for animal neglect.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I would never, ever leave my dog tied up anywhere, unattended.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have seen a dog or two tied up outside our local neighborhood grocery.
BUT this is a very small store and they can easily be seen from anywhere inside.
Stops in there are maybe 5 minutes max.

Would we do it? No.
BUT as our last dog was a Shar-pei and current is an Akita........ lol!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts