Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I adopted Kettle about a week ago. She's a WONDERFUL gentle smart loving Cattle Dog mix--fully mature at 5 years old. And she's completely housebroken. She hasn't gone inside once. In fact, she's one of the best dogs I've ever had.

The problem: We have a wrap around back porch, one side of which we use and one side that we rarely go to. Since it is hot, we've left the door from the house to the porch open (entrance to the yard is closed with a dog-gate). Kettle seems to know not to soil the living areas inside the house and on the steps or porch that we use, but I found lots of poops and puddles on the side of the porch that we don't use. I've also found poops on the brick yard of our house, and she pees in the middle of the sidewalk

I'm assuming that this is the result of the training from her previous owners. And she isn't (in her mind at least) soiling the house. I think she thinks that she's doing what she is supposed to do. After all, she's outside.

What I want is for her to vacate on dirt or in a "natural" area--preferably in a consistent place--not on manmade surfaces. I'm not opposed to a doggie "litterbox" with sand or something in it, or is this cheating?

Any advice on how we can work on this? Preferably that doesn't involve me rubbing her nose in it or correcting her harshly? I mean, I would certainly correct her if necessary--but she isn't a particularly willful or difficult dog. I can tell how much she wants to please me, and thus far it seems to have been very easy for her to adopt some behaviors that I want.

Point being--I'd rather use her desire to please as the starting point rather than the "she's doing something bad which needs correction" starting point.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would first start by blocking off the areas you don't want her to use with a gate or some other barrier. Then I'd do a couple weeks at least of potty training 101 by taking her out on leash every few hours on a schedule and taking her to the spot you do want her to go. When she goes, lots of praise and treats, you want to make this place much more appealing than going on the porch. When she is actively going to the spot you want without you taking her then you can start to back off on the scheduled pottys if you want her to go out on her own but leave the barriers up for longer until you are sure she will go to the new spot 100% of the time.

Congrats on your new family members :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts