Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently got a new puppy. He's a Red Heeler (ACD) named Louie (not sure of his age), and he's my second dog. I've never had a second dog before so I do have a few questions.

One thing I was wondering about was how much I should let him play with my first dog, Pocky. Should I be worried about him bonding to her and not me?

Also he wasn't very socialized before we got him so he is skittish to new things but I am working on that since I know this is a critical puppy socializing stage. He's had his first set of shots and I've been trying to get him to walk with me down the driveway and down the street. I've been staying on the street and avoiding the grass and any place where other dogs may have come in contact with. It took him awhile since he kept planting his butt down and whining but he seems to be more comfortable and we were able to make it down the street today. Any suggestions on where I can take him to socialize him more?

I know he is a herding breed so I've been trying to think of some jobs he can do around the house. I would really like to teach him to take in groceries or to put away the laundry when he gets older. If anyone has any experience with this or has any more ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts