Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right to the point

My 3 year old Australian Sheppard has stopped eating normally for the past 4 months. Before he would eat all his food in one setting 11/2 cups twice a day. Now he won't eat/barley will.

Facts listed below
1. Wife and I had a child November 2013
2. Dog eats Merrick dry dog food
3. Walks 1-2 miles a day with 30 minutes of ball play
4. Stopped eating all at once picks at it throughout the day
5. Vet has taken x rays and full blood panel shows nothing
6. Gave steroids and eating increases over the pills given
7. Stool is firm no blood
8. Appetite increases with exercise, but still doesn't eat all the food

I have attached the x rays below if anyone wants to see the blood panel I'll attach that also

Please any insight will be greatly appreciated!

THORAX - LATERAL RIGHT.jpg ABDOMEN - LATERAL RIGHT.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
Could it be that he's now physically mature and doesn't have a puppy appetite/metabolism anymore? Is his weight stable, or is he losing?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Could it be that he's now physically mature and doesn't have a puppy appetite/metabolism anymore? Is his weight stable, or is he losing?
I second this, also has it been hotter the last 4 months?

Dogs eat less with age and heat.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
My fit 115 lb Giant Schnauzer mix only eats 4 cups of food a day, and my mutt that's a bit smaller than an Aussie only eats 2 cups a day, and is kind of chunky even on that much. They're both healthy and have an activity level similar to what you're describing.

At three cups a day of a nutrient-dense food and a not super high activity level you might simply be feeding more than the dog needs.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
seems to me that it's just too much food for him. My 50lb PWD gets a heaping ½ cup twice a day and maintains weight perfectly. I have a picky poodle as well, I know how frustrating that can be, but if he's otherwise at a good weight and at normal activity, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seems to me that it's just too much food for him. My 50lb PWD gets a heaping ½ cup twice a day and maintains weight perfectly. I have a picky poodle as well, I know how frustrating that can be, but if he's otherwise at a good weight and at normal activity, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Interesting... Maybe ill take away 1/4 cup and give him 2 cups once a day to start. My boy is 54lbs like I said above he actually put on weight. Yes very active and nothing else has changed wants to play and eat his treats like normal

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
If you either just opened or are at the very end of a bag of food, it's worth getting a new bag and see if it makes a difference.

But honestly I think it's very possible that he just doesn't need that much food. My 90# dog gets 3 cups a food total per day when he's eating kibble. Merrick is a pretty calorie dense food, and bag feeding instructions are almost always a lie.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you either just opened or are at the very end of a bag of food, it's worth getting a new bag and see if it makes a difference.

But honestly I think it's very possible that he just doesn't need that much food. My 90# dog gets 3 cups a food total per day when he's eating kibble. Merrick is a pretty calorie dense food, and bag feeding instructions are almost always a lie.
Actually we went through several bags of food already.

All the dog food below is grain free
1. Ate BB for better part of his life then they changed the recipe and smelt like a old gym locker room.
2. Started feeding him Wellness I stopped for the simple fact he drank water 24/7
3. Went back to BB for one week with a different style.
4. Switch to Merrick went through a whole bag of Texas Beef then put in Real Beef in the same line for some variety been on this company for a good 2 months.

Thank you for the advice I'll definitely move to 2cups a day see how that goes

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If he's not losing weight he just plain doesn't need that much food :p. I have a 50-pound dog who eats just over a cup a day, although she is elderly so a young dog would likely need more. Did you have him neutered around the time this all started? Neutered dogs have much lower caloric needs. It's lucky he's self-regulating because a lot of dogs get fat when their caloric needs drop due to age/neutering/etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If he's not losing weight he just plain doesn't need that much food :p. I have a 50-pound dog who eats just over a cup a day, although she is elderly so a young dog would likely need more. Did you have him neutered around the time this all started? Neutered dogs have much lower caloric needs. It's lucky he's self-regulating because a lot of dogs get fat when their caloric needs drop due to age/neutering/etc.
No he was a young pup when I got him fixed, today he only ate about cup out of two cups....

Just makes me upset that he's not eating... I really worked him out today.... ��

·
Registered
528 Posts
No he was a young pup when I got him fixed, today he only ate about cup out of two cups....

Just makes me upset that he's not eating... I really worked him out today.... ��
...but he IS eating. You've shared no physical signs that he is not taking in enough nutrition for his activity level, so I'm not sure what the concern is. If he were losing weight, lethargic, unable to keep up with his normal activity than you should be concerned. He's been eating this way for 4 months and has, in fact, gained weight during this time. It seems that he's self regulating his intake and for that you should count yourself lucky. The vast majority of dogs when offered an over abundance of food will gorge each and every time. Quickly leading to rapid weight gain and a whole host of health issues.

I've got a 62 lb 3 year old male neutered Shepherd mix who is easily getting 3-4 times the daily activity level of your dog. I'm feeding him the caloric equivalent of what your dog was being offered.

If he's maintaining his weight, condition and energy on whatever amount he is currently eating then reduce his daily portion to that size, or slightly more, because that's all he needs. Also, it seems you're free feeding, putting down his meal in the morning and allowing him to "graze" throughout the day, and I would respectfully advise that you switch him to distinct meals instead.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
im trying ti figure out why you are so worried when your dog is at a healthy weight and seems perfectly fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts