Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have it in my head that I might pick up a second dog if I stumble upon one that seems just right. Two reasons for this: 1) I like dogs, so it's the more, the merrier as far as I'm concerned. 2) I tend to think it's always a better thing for a single dog to have a dog buddy, especially when the single dog lives with a person who works five days a week (like myself).

Having said that, Alvin doesn't really want to be buddies with dogs. He's not aggressive or mean or jealous, he's just indifferent. He doesn't want to fight or fuss or guard his food and toys, but he also doesn't want to chase or wrestle or snuggle with another dog. In the year that I had Clifford, Alvin seemed to pretend that he was still an only dog. When I had Clifford put down, Alvin did not even appear to notice he was gone, let alone care.

So what do we think? Do we think Alvin should even factor into this decision? Is it still better to have another living being home when I'm away, even if the two dogs aren't buddies? Might the whole thing just be too much stress for an older dog who has just moved houses?

I'm not looking for a second dog, nor am I going out to find one in the next few weeks. I'm just trying to decide what I'm going to do when one falls into my lap, as they inevitably do.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If Alvin doesn't really care one way or the other, then I probably wouldn't factor him into the decision. So, your reason #2 wouldn't count.

I've only gotten one of my dogs because of the other dogs and that's the last one, B'asia. I thought she'd help the balance of the pack and I was right. The other 3, I got for purely selfish reasons. :D

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well it can be anywhere from a fairy tale to a scary tale. The fun is in the pickin.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
FB, if Alvin doesn't care, and the dog you would be considering had no issues with Alvin, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I like having 2 dogs. Sooty came into our home unexpectantly when April was 7 1/2 y/o. They had lots of fun together. When April died I didn't notice a change in Sooty but my son did. I had always planned on getting another puppy & Sooty & Tilba are buddies. Because Sooty hasn't had anything to do with other dogs for most of her life except for April I wouldn't have considered getting anything than a puppy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I recently was given a 2nd dog.

I own my home and there is no issue in the neighborhood as most of the ppl who own dogs have more than one.

The big issue for me is that i'm not really set up for two. My yard is not fenced, i have a cable run that I can put one dog on, but the second dog either has to wait to go out or i need to go out with them. (This can be a problem in the winter when it 20 below).

The only other thing is the vet bills. They just doubled!!!

But the plus' out weigh the issues by a mile. They play together inside, and run and wrestle outside, and as we all know, excersize is important. Two dogs can also add to the fun factor. They are all constantly doing funny stuff. I sweer they do it on purpose just to make me laugh!!!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
If you want another dog and are in a position to take one, I would say yes. If Alvin doesn't care one way or another, I think that's ok, he isn't being affected negatively which is good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you want another dog and are in a position to take one, I would say yes. If Alvin doesn't care one way or another, I think that's ok, he isn't being affected negatively which is good.
One thing I forgot to mention in the last post was that I had 4 play dates with Neka and Patchs before I even made the decision to take her. The play dates were no less than an hour.

Then we moved the last one to my yard to see how that went. It lasted 3 hours and everything went very well. In fact, the 3 labs down the street came up for about 45 mins and that went well too. Needless to say, Patchs is part of the pack and doing quite well.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate here and warn against a second dog. You say Alvin is indifferent, but that he doesn't want to play, wrestle, etc. Getting a second dog that does want those things could prove to be very annoying for him. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
714 Posts
its good that you have thought this out, and if you are in a position to be able to handle having another dog, i'd say go for it. take alvin with you when you go to see the possible new family members. maybe he just hasnt met a dog he wants to play with. or try a puppy, maybe the energy of them will break him out of his shell. or maybe just a female that has about the same level and temperment as him.

i know our akita was more indifferent about other dogs, and well i love the idea of more than one dog. so we got our husky pup, and well she at first ignored him, but as the days went on ( and he got bigger, her attitude changed), same for when we got our newest pup.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yep, if you're up for the challange and Alvin doesn't care or have issues, go for it. One of the things that I find so wonderful about having more than one (I have 3) is that their personalities are different and their characteristics vary between each so they compliment each other.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate here and warn against a second dog. You say Alvin is indifferent, but that he doesn't want to play, wrestle, etc. Getting a second dog that does want those things could prove to be very annoying for him. Just my two cents.
I agree with Toby. If it's because you feel Alvin needs a friend while you're gone but he doesn't care if there is another breathing creature around, I would say no. He doesn't miss Clifford (and you would know if he did) then he is fine being the only dog. And that's ok. Some dogs should be an only dog...and Alvin sounds like he is quite happy being an only child. ;)

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
FB,Bless has been acting like the other 2 dogs have not exsisted for 6 years now.

I say go for it,the more dogs the better ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would like to get another dog when the time is right. I think that Val would have a hoot of a time with the right kind of dog and so would the prospective dog. I'd like to get a smallish dog of any breed and/or mutt would be fine, too.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't get a dog that wants to do those things :)

That's why my last second dog was Clifford. He needed a place to retire and I knew he wouldn't bother Alvin because, well, he physically couldn't.

I guess my concern is foisting too many changes on Alvin at once. We just moved and he just sort of got settled in. I don't think a new dog will help him with that at all, but that doesn't matter. What I don't want is for a new dog to be detrimental to that process.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
My dogs are strange. When we adopted Jack, Smalls had been my only dog for two years. She loves other dogs and one of the factors in our decision was the fact she would enjoy the company. They'll play once in a blue moon, but otherwise he's completely indifferent to her. And then we brought Jonas in, who loves Smalls, but he and Jack avoid each other all together. They've never played or really even notice the other is there. In meeting other dogs, Smalls is thrilled, and Jonas and Jack couldn't care less.

Jack is also scared of all dogs smaller than him. When he met Jonas before we adopted him, things went fine, but then again we were outside at a shelter. We brought him home and Jack bolted when he came near for a week or so. Happens with all of our little foster dogs, too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
her is my two cents on second dog...

when we originally got Thunder, we wanted a playmate and that was the only reason.. he was only 4 months old and we wanted a dog that was about the same age, so the could play and grow up together, so, we placed an ad and went looking, we came across this dog that "seemed" fit, so, we gave the lady a call and she told us the dog she had was calm and cool and very well behaved.... so, she brought him over, and from the get go it was none stop for the dog, i swear to this day it was on something.. this poor dog would not let thunder sleep eat or do anything, thunder was still a pup and was quite for the first few months, the lady that told us this about her dog was TOTALLY wrong!! so, we called a friend to come pick up the dog and find a home for it. we then waited a few more weeks and kept looking, and we came across another ad, this time we were smart, and we talked back and forth and learned more about the dog, personalty and the like. she wanted a "rehoming fee" of i think like 30.00 or something, but, i wanted thunder to meet her first, to make sure it was a fit. so, i loaded thunder in the car ( he as almost 5 months by then) and all his toys and blankets and drove 45 minutes to the ladies house, we drove up , thunder got out and we met the lady at the door, she was really nice and she had already had 2 other HUGE dogs ( i think they were huskies), and she could no longer keep this one, as she had no room and was unable to care for her.

so, we sat in the living room and talked while the dogs sniffed one another, shared some toys and, then all was going great until treat time... well, the dog ( now named Cinni) was NOT going to share and started to show aggression towards thunder, mind you cinni was only 20lbs then so she probably had to fight for her food with the 2 other BIG dogs, we intervined a few times and worked it out, she explained that after a while, she thought they would be a perfect fit, and gave her to us, no charge! fast forward to now, and the could never ever be seperated.

moral of the story, it is OK to get another dog for personal reasons, that is why they are there, for us to get thru the rough times and good times, but, my advise is :

-to make sure that you can get them about the same age, or at least close ( Thunder will be 2 this July and Cinni just turned 2 1/2 in july), so 6 months apart.

-take your dog with you to meet the other dog, ( in fact in Utah to adopt a second dog it is required), and see how they act with one another.

basically a second dog is fine, as long as no obections are made by anyone.

good luck and let us know if you get another one.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Knowing you the little bit that I do FB... You will get a older/ special needs kid that needs a last chance home. I think Alvin is indifferent to the idea because he knows what kind of person you are..and He doesnt have a say so in it anyways:D I think you know what you are doing..Follow your heart!

You will find the right match for you and Alvin.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts