Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was a thread similar to this recently, but I don't want to hijack.

I am anticipating going to grad school across the country in 2020 (most likely summer). Currently, my dog and I live at home with my parents. They have 2 dogs of their own, and my dog is best friends with them (one in particular).

Fast forward to when we move, and it will be just him and me. I am worried about him adjusting to not only being a single dog but to being alone for extended periods of time throughout the day. My mother works from home so he hasn't really been alone for more than an hour or so in the past almost 3 years. I will try to coordinate my schedule to be with him as much as possible, and I will arrange for walks and daycare as finances allow, but I won't know what I can do until the time comes of course.

I was already planning on getting a second dog while in grad school, but I am wondering if it would be best to get a new dog before we move, so that Oli and the dog can develop a relationship/understanding of each other and make the big move together, rather than adding a new dog to the shock of moving and a completely different lifestyle.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
My suggestion would be to get him used to more alone time now.

Renting is harder with 2 dogs than with 1 dog. Even if rental allows two dogs, many charge pet rent per animal. Depending on the real estate market in your target city, even small dogs can make you a less desirable renter and cause a landland to select another applicant. Plus the logistics of a cross country move with two dogs.

Grad school programmes vary in intensity but some are very time consuming, more so than a full time job. Getting at least a semester under your belt before signing on to the care of a second dog is a very good idea.

That said, if you meet the right dog along the way, sometimes its just meant to be.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I agree with Shell, especially regarding difficulty finding rent! I pay $50 more each month ($600 a year!) just to have my two boys, and it's not at all size dependent.

I think it would be easier to teach a dog to be alone, especially over two years. I remember having the same thoughts when I went to college. I spent a summer crate training Soro so that, regardless of what housing situation I found myself in, I would have that option.

But I think if you are set on getting a second dog, it also would be best to do it soon so you and your dog have a year or two to adjust. I would advise STILL doing separation training with both dogs, since it's no guarantee that simply having two dogs would negate chances of vocalization or destruction when left alone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts