Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I are considering adopting another puppy. Gir is a female pit bull mix, who is very good with other dogs; she exhibits no dog aggression, even when slightly provoked by other dogs. She quickly becomes submissive. I'm not really worried about her hurting or not accepting a new dog. I do however, want to make sure that if we do adopt a new puppy, the transition is as smooth as possible for both dogs. Do any of you dog owners have any advice?

Gir is a little over a year old, and still a big baby herself. She's very energetic and playful, so I think having another puppy around would help her release some of that crazy energy. She's used to playing with my sister's 3 year old lab/terrier mix, but that dog tires out fairly quickly.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I would first caution you to wait on your second dog until your first dog is at the place you want her to be, behavior and training-wise. Not that you can't keep working on dog #1 after you get dog #2, it just becomes much more challenging.

Having said that, take Gir to meet whatever dog you think you like. A one time meeting off the home turf won't be a perfect indication of how well they'll get along, but it will probably reveal a terrible problem, if there is one.

Once you've committed yourself, I highly recommend splitting the dogs up between the two of you, meeting at a neutral spot, and walking the dogs home together. I have really found that just walking them next to each other begins to build a positive relationship that seems to make arriving at the house totally natural.

Other than that, just be aware that it will take some settling in. The two dogs may fuss at each other every once in a while. Obviously you don't want anyone getting hurt, but you do want them to work things out between themselves and that's part of the way they do it. Keep giving both dogs one on one time with you and try not to change up dog #1's routine too much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. As far as training and behavior, I hadn't considered that. I figured that it would be easier to teach the new puppy if Gir were learning at the same time. They could observe and copy each other. That's what the lady at the Petco dog traingin seminar said. Anyway, Gir's a really fast learner when it comes to commands. All it takes is a few treats :)
As for taking her to meet a potential new dog, I really want to do that. We want to adopt from the Humane Society, and I'm pretty sure they would allow us to set up some kind of meeting on neutral ground. They know and love Gir, since that's where we got her, and we still take her to their veterinary clinic.

I appreciate everyone's help and advice in this matter. I've grown up around dogs, but never owned more than one at a time.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I should clarify...I didn't really mean that Gir should be PERFECT before you bring home a second dog. It would just be wise to take care of any big issues before you add to your pack, because it will be harder to focus on them once you have two dogs. Does that make more sense?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should clarify...I didn't really mean that Gir should be PERFECT before you bring home a second dog. It would just be wise to take care of any big issues before you add to your pack, because it will be harder to focus on them once you have two dogs. Does that make more sense?
Oh yes, it makes perfect sense.
The main thing that I need to work on with her is her tendency to jump on people when she meets them for the first time. I'm really trying hard to get her to stop doing that. She's a big dog, and it scares people. I know as a pit bull that she just wants to love and be loved by every human she meets, but I'm trying to get her to calm down and let people approach her, rather than running up to them and jumping and trying to kiss their face :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Getting a second dog can be a gift and a curse and the first few weeks/months are definitely a curse!! I know as we added our second about 6 weeks ago and after a few days I really regretted the decision. Everyone is starting to settle in and I love Fergus, but there are still times I wish I would have just stopped at Toby. It's just such a struggle and really takes some getting used to for everyone.

Dog are so different and you don't really realize it until you add the second but the only similarity between my two is they both walk on all fours. They eat different, play different, walk different, etc. It's not nearly as perfect/easy as I had thought it would be and the struggle can be very tiresome. Good luck in whatever you choose, but I would also suggest waiting a bit and focusing more on Gir for now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting a second dog can be a gift and a curse and the first few weeks/months are definitely a curse!! I know as we added our second about 6 weeks ago and after a few days I really regretted the decision. Everyone is starting to settle in and I love Fergus, but there are still times I wish I would have just stopped at Toby. It's just such a struggle and really takes some getting used to for everyone.

Dog are so different and you don't really realize it until you add the second but the only similarity between my two is they both walk on all fours. They eat different, play different, walk different, etc. It's not nearly as perfect/easy as I had thought it would be and the struggle can be very tiresome. Good luck in whatever you choose, but I would also suggest waiting a bit and focusing more on Gir for now.
We probably will end up waiting a while before actively searching for a second dog. I was mainly trying to get some basic information and advice.
Gir is still quite a handful :) I'm probably getting a new job very soon, so I'd want to make sure everything in that department works out well before getting a second dog. Gir has major separation anxiety. I'm hoping that because this new job has more regular (same time every day rather than different shifts) hours, she'll get used to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts