Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that adding a second dog has been covered plenty of times and I've been reading those threads, but I want to post my situation and get some opinions (without hijacking a thread). Now for a wall of text of background info and my question...

I got a puppy in March and he is 8 months old now. Since I live in a large, very dog friendly, city my boy is incredibly well socialized. He goes out to restaurant happy hours with me, he goes to work (doggie day care) with me 4-5 days a week, and he goes to the dog park at least 3 times a week. I love being able to take my boy places with me but, what I love even more, is that he has outlets to meet many different people and many different dogs.

In a few days I'm moving to a smaller town for grad school. This place lacks dog parks, it lacks day cares (the one day care that is there I do not feel comfortable taking my dog to), and veeeery few of the restaurants allow dogs on the patio. Not only that but in all of my time there I've seen maybe three dogs (except for when I toured that day care). That being said, I've been a little worried about my boy having playmates.

I have roommates moving into my house, a couple, and they really want to get an Australian Shepherd puppy. We've discussed the issue a little and they seem on board with my "puppy requirements" and any suggestions I have had. Due to the almost total agreement we've had I told them that a dog would be fine. I was hoping that I would be able to find a roommate with a dog older than mine but of the people that I met these guys were much better than anybody else.

Now, I don't know a ton about Aussies but I love herding breeds (as does my pup). I know that they are high energy and they take a lot of work and that is not a concern to me. This couple have both had dogs all their life and they know what it takes (They were going to bring the girl's current dog but her sisters are so attached to it that she couldn't bare making her sisters give it up). I am pretty positive that they want a puppy, though I'm going to throw out the idea of an older dog.

My concern has to do with adding a puppy at my dog's age. I always planned on getting a second dog (a puppy) but not until my boy was 1.5-2 years old, at least! My boy is well socialized and pretty well trained. I told them that I'd happily help with training (I love training) if they'd want it. Are there things that I'd need to look out for or take precautions with if a puppy is added (I know about introducing a new dog to the household)? I know that this situation isnt ideal but I also know that it is often done with people much less knowledgeable about dogs and it still turns out alright.

I would appreciate any insight, opinions, personal stories, or anything else.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm sorry I can't be more help, but honestly it sounds like you know a thing or two already.

My best suggestion would be to supervise, supervise, supervise. Even though your pup is young still, the baby might just be too much to handle. Don't let the puppy gang up on your guy.

Also, I really wish I took my two dogs out separately more often. They are so attached that it has become troublesome. Do a lot of one on one outings with your dog.

I know you have the best intentions in adding another dog, but honestly, after the novelty of a new friend wears off, I don't know if you can count a 'housemate' dog as socialization. Sure, they will get to play and hopefully they will get along nicely, but I would still be taking your dog out to visit with other canine companions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well I'll try (you do sound knowledgeable and well informed)-- with the advice that they should get an opposite sex pup-- especially being a pup it isnt 100% accurate to predict what its personality will be like as it matures and you certainly dont want male on male rivalry as they jockey for position in your home(at least even if the female is bossy in my experience the male -- yours-- will respond better) -- I dont think that is what you have in mind for your pup! But otherwise that age difference/closeness wouldnt bother me....

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I try to do as much research as I possibly can but I always worry that I miss something. The suggestion of doing things separately is a great one! I'm not actually sure that I would have even thought of them needing alone time with their "people" but it does make a lot of sense. I definitely don't want any same sex aggression issues and, sadly, male/male aggression is especially a problem with dobermans. They have already agreed on getting a female and I think that's what they wanted in the first place (yay).

Thanks again :] I appreciate the comments.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I opened this thread planning to tell you to make sure they have plenty of separate/one-on-one time. But I was beaten to the punch. I have worked with dogs that cannot be separated. They'd throw tantrums. A few would even injure themselves. Make sure your boy remains a confident individual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts