Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't believe how quickly we got here, both in his life and after finding out he was definitely terminal barely two weeks ago. It's been such a whirlwind and I know we are doing right by him but I just can't even envision a world after he's gone. He is our sweet boy, our perfect dog, our smart and independent "Dooper" and everything just went downhill so quickly. We went to visit Mom & Dad over Christmas and he was really doing so well then, up and about and socializing with the other dogs out back. A week later and he can barely walk; we aren't even sure if he'll make it to Thursday but he's resting and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable besides-- which makes sense based on the most likely diagnosis-- so we're at least waiting to get a call back from his neurologist tomorrow. She's been out of town and expressed a personal interest in being present for his last appointment, were he able to make it, although we certainly haven't been dragging it out for her sake or ours. We feel like we've moved about as quickly as possible absent an emergency euth, which doesn't seem to be what's required just yet. We're prepared that things could change quickly again, and worse.

It's always heartbreaking to lose a pet but I am just so sad for him, that he lived his whole life with epilepsy and just when we got a handle on things, it's being cut short. I can't believe this is how we're ringing in our New Year, I can't believe it's coming so soon after Bailey , and I'm so worried for my partner who may be more crushed than I am. He grew up on a farm around animals, including barn cats and pet dogs, but he'll be the first to say he was never so attached to another animal.

At the moment, I feel more resolute than anything else; I've cried so much the last two weeks I think I might have run out of tears (mostly-- I had a solid sob earlier) and I know this is what he needs from us right now and that the pain we feel is the pain we are saving him from, metaphorically anyway. It's all just so hard and I know it's all going to hit me like a ton of bricks when he's really gone. I am so drained from working to give Bailey a good send-off and I'm trying with every fiber of my being to keep myself together for Sebastian's sake, and for my partner, and for my parents, who invested an extraordinary amount of time and energy and other help to make it easier for us to give Sebastian a reasonable life. He was such a challenge but he was so worth it. If I could go back in time knowing about the epilepsy, knowing he would die at five and a half years old, I'd make the same choice a million times. He is our dog and we are his people and it has been an honor and a privilege providing him a home.

We just wanted so much more for him and I am so scared to lose my best friend.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are losing Sebastian, especially so soon after Bailey. Not how you imagined to end/start the year, I'm sure. Sending my best vibes to you and your family.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely not how we wanted to start the year :( I'm gonna go out on a limb and hope for just the one dog death in 2019.... :/

I seem to recall you just recently went through this too, I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I am so, so sorry.

Be really kind with yourself in the days before and after, okay? For me, after I'd cried myself out and come to terms with everything, I felt almost physically beat up. A massage or something like that might help...at least a long soak in a hot tub, yeah?

I know it's a part of pet ownership but I'm so sorry it has to come so soon for you.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
I am so sorry. It's hard, it sucks, it's unfair and my thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your well wishes. Sebastian passed peacefully today at 11:50 AM eastern. His vet cried. We will miss him more than words could possibly say, and already do. I do take comfort knowing he is no longer suffering. What we thought was abdominal bloat from steroids was likely a tumor. It was his time. It still hurts so, so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts