Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Montana (14 week old Akbash/pyrenees) and I are finally back here in Seattle after about two months in the dry heat of central Montana. Needless to say he likes it much better as it is about 20-30 degrees cooler here, and moist. So now that we've beat the heat I'm searching for the best morning routine. Typically we wake up around 6 or 7am and go out to potty. Ideally we would go for a walk, but as he's not leash broken yet we'll kick the soccer ball around for about 30 minutes in the back yard.

Now. Is it best to train after this point and then feed? Or to feed then train? Being a puppy i feel the best time to train is when he's not in super play mode but also not when hes not about to crash into a nap. Its a narrow window Lol.

Anyone have any insight? thanks

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I've always heard it's best to train first, feed later. Because if some dogs are food motivated and you already fed him and are trying to train him with treats, it won't work because he's full. I wouldn't feed him straight away after training, let him calm down first and then feed. Maybe in your 30min you can do half soccer play, half trying to leash train him. I always attached the leash to Luke when he was a pup and was outside with us, that way he got used to the leash and us directing him or he found out it was okay for this long blue thing to be attached to him. So you could try that too.

Anyway Montana sounds very cute!! An Akbash/Pyr mix?...that is soo cool!! Good luck.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Play, train and feed at the same time. Use his food as his rewards. You don't have to feed from a bowl, I don't. If you're raw feeding, play, train, then feed.

Also, as I melt in PA's 100 degrees today, I dream of "beating the heat". Lucky you!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hey Highway!

I did a walk, trained with kibble, and if I didn't use it all I hand fed the rest (or put it in a bowl, but not often.)

In general we still do this. However, now that they are 1 and if mornings get too busy, I will train as their energy gets high again- about 4pm- peaking at 6pm with puppy loco time!

Have fun!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts