Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2 yr. old shih tzu has been on eagle pack holistic (duck, fish & lamb-on rotation) and it's been good so far. i had a hard time looking for a good quality food he'd truly like and since I 've discovered eagle pack-he's been hooked. His itching hasn't stopped though. Took him to the vet & he was diagnosed as having a very mild case of pruritus (itch). He's always been given oatmeal baths and no wheat-soy-corn food and treats. However, I found out as I was checking the dog food analysis website that eagle pack holistic is nto as good as I thought due to many reasons: low content of meat, high grain content and using dried beet pulp as a filler and known to cause itch prolems in dogs. Now I am at a lost. Upon careful research, I found WEllness Core (Fish) and Wellness Core reduced fat to have good ingredients or Artemis, although this doesn't come in fish but chicken and turkey only. What would anybody recommend for a good quality food out there - with having meat meal as first ingredients and low grain content with Omega 3 supplements in them, too. Please HELP as I am gearing towards Wellness Core but does not want to make the mistake.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have also heard very good things about the Wellness core FISH type. Is it that you can't find it locally? I think many people will tell you a RAW diet really helps with those types of problems, although I do not have first hand experience with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi, thanks! he was on raw food diet before and got sick from it. was hospitalized for 2 days and the vet determined that the raw food could very well be the cause of it-so I stopped giving it to him and switched to eagle pack holistic.

Thanks, I thought for a while he was allergic to chicken-I haven't proved that to be true but I have not given him any for almost 2 yrs. now. Orijen Fish is a good choice except that I articles I've read claim that "high protein" diet may not be suitable for small breed dogs. I did buy Orijen for him early last year but he didn't even touch it-that was when he was on a hunger strike (holding out for human food) not because Orijen is bad-it's top notch dog food, i know that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
my 2 yr. old shih tzu has been on eagle pack holistic (duck, fish & lamb-on rotation) and it's been good so far. i had a hard time looking for a good quality food he'd truly like and since I 've discovered eagle pack-he's been hooked. His itching hasn't stopped though. Took him to the vet & he was diagnosed as having a very mild case of pruritus (itch). He's always been given oatmeal baths and no wheat-soy-corn food and treats. However, I found out as I was checking the dog food analysis website that eagle pack holistic is nto as good as I thought due to many reasons: low content of meat, high grain content and using dried beet pulp as a filler and known to cause itch prolems in dogs. Now I am at a lost. Upon careful research, I found WEllness Core (Fish) and Wellness Core reduced fat to have good ingredients or Artemis, although this doesn't come in fish but chicken and turkey only. What would anybody recommend for a good quality food out there - with having meat meal as first ingredients and low grain content with Omega 3 supplements in them, too. Please HELP as I am gearing towards Wellness Core but does not want to make the mistake.
Don't believe everything you read on Dog Food Analysis. There is plenty of meat for healthy skin. I wouldn't blame beet pulp either. I perfer beet pulp in my dog food. If you don't know what it is in there for try googling beet pulp dog food. Did you vet do any skin test?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Grain-free is a pretty good way to go. I have heard of dogs having issues with too many protein sources as well so maybe look for foods with only one or two sources and see if you can identify one that he does well on? Also, be prepared to be patient with this...it can take several weeks for allergies to clear up so it may take a while while you try out different foods. Good luck - I know how frustrating it can be!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I would try grain free to see if that helps. I'm pretty sure the evo canned stuff that is 95% meat is grain free, that's what my dog eats right now. If that doesn't work you might have to try out some specialty foods. My SIL's dog is allergic to meat among other things, and has to have a fish based food that is free of all his other allergies as well. Health food stores for people are good places to look for those specialty foods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts