Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering with the prices of these dogs if I am being unreasonable (too cheap lol) in my search. Here's what I'm looking for. (ideally)

Male (bigger not quite as aggressive but still aggressive... I need a fam dog but also a guard dog, so I figure less aggression but more intimidation due to size win win)

Ideally 12 weeks... I would like this dog to have adequate time with it's mother and grown effectively but yet young enough that I can socialize it around my children as well as the way I need to overall and have it work where as an older dog might not be as easy.

Tail, dew claw, and ears done (I know typically ears add $200 onto price)

I don't need the actual papers (big $$ saver) as I don't plan on showing dog or breeding for that matter... but I want to KNOW that the dog is purebred... which means I need to see papers on both parents as assurance as opposed to taking someone's 'word' Even at a deal it's still not change you'd find in your couch the price of these.

Price... this is the sticky point... if I wanna pay $1200-2k I could find these ALL DAY... but I'm looking (with ears... and I started out my max at only several hundred dollars... but have slowly realized I've been WAY too cheap lol) at spending a max (with EARS) of $750... is this going to happen or am I living a pipe dream?

I've talked to several people, one parent has papers the other doesn't for various reasons (so far I've heard that 'papers were lost I'm contacting iccf but don't have them yet takes 30 days'... as well as 'paid 2k for mom dog from friend of childs dad and I saw papers but never got them now they're playing games and want 2500 for papers') as 2 different excuses.

Thing is I know it's a 'deal' but I don't want to pay $750 for a dog that very well could be a corso/pit mix etc and I'm only taking the word of someone I don't know and lives several hours away from me you know?

I live in Ohio. Have checked puppyfind.com as well as petfinder.com (2nd site mostly shelter dogs and not what I want in an aggressive breed like this).

I've also searched breeders but typically they would run on the cheap side of 1500, and by searched I mean a yahoo search of my state. I could go West Virginia easily... Pennsylvania not quite as easy, and Indian/Michigan not as easy as well but could make a drive if need be but I'm S.E. Ohio. Any ideas? Suggestions? Or am I too cheap and just screwed if this is the dog I want????

·
Registered
468 Posts
Properly bred dogs usually don't come cheap. Because you want an a more tough dog, you MUST MUST MUST get it from a reputable breeder. Breeders who do not do all the proper testing (does NOT just mean a vet check, it means eye tests, hip tests, etc) usually end up producing dogs with health problems or behavioral problems. You are getting a big dog AND you have children so it is VITAL that you get a dog with good behavior and temperament in its genes.

I would check for a breeder listing by state on the cane corse association of america website.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Try a breeder who has a dog who needs to be rehomed-- I looked at a breeder in Virginia who had 2 rescues (one was only 6months old) she was a small breeder and the dogs were well socialized. BTW, my most recent pup is a Bernese Mt dog who doesnt have papers d/t mom not having papers (but both parents were on premises, mom looks like a good representative of her breed despite not having papers, dad has his papers)... I paid $1000 for him....

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree with finding a working breeder, if you are looking for a family pet/property guardian there are some specific temperament traits that the dog needs to have, a working breeder will know exactly what type of dog to push you towards.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Male (bigger not quite as aggressive but still aggressive... I need a fam dog but also a guard dog, so I figure less aggression but more intimidation due to size win win)

Ideally 12 weeks... I would like this dog to have adequate time with it's mother and grown effectively but yet young enough that I can socialize it around my children as well as the way I need to overall and have it work where as an older dog might not be as easy.

I don't need the actual papers (big $$ saver) as I don't plan on showing dog or breeding for that matter... but I want to KNOW that the dog is purebred... ... Any ideas? Suggestions? Or am I too cheap and just screwed if this is the dog I want????
The Corso is on my short list of breeds. Gr8 dog!

First, aggression does not equate to protectiveness. Depending upon his underlying temperament and the reason for his aggressiveness, an aggressive dog may or may not protect. Aggression is simply that - aggression. It is a potential lawsuit, or worse, in waiting. And especially when it comes to kids, the last thing you want is an aggressive dog.

There are those who will tell you that when push comes to shove, without proper training, few if any dogs will actually protect. I am not one of those. A well-bred Corso of good lines should protect, but there are no guarantees that he will.

Having looked into the breed on both sides of the border, my impression is that getting a well-bred Corso from good lines will probably cost you more than you're now prepared to pay. So now you're down to the very many BYB's and mediocre breeders popping out puppies to make a few dollars. In Ohio, you're bound to find a lot of these. That's not to say that you won't be able to find your ideal dog somewhere in that quagmire, but do be very careful...

This is a wonderful breed, but temperament is all over the spectrum. You could wind up with anything from an overly sharp Corso (which would be a constant concern), to a timid dog (fear-biter), or anything in between. And from what owners tell me, there are almost as many timid Corsi out there as overly sharp ones. Again, you have to be very careful in your choice of breeder, litter and puppy.

Docked tails and dew claws should add little or nothing to the price. Ears, if done properly and well (and not just hacked off) are often a pricey option. As cost seems to be an issue, you might want to rethink the ears. I assume you like that "tough-dog" look for the intimidation factor. And although I do like cropped ears in certain breeds (for other reasons, and not for Corsi), if your dog goes into protective mode, he will not need those mean-looking ears to do the job!

Back at protection, a good family guardian should not be aggressive at all. Rather, he should be very calm and self-assured. If, for example, you met our boy, you'd see a docile, friendly fur-ball who, never in your wildest imagination could you see him protecting anything. He can be taken anywhere and trusted with anyone. Docile with benign strangers and dogs, and always gentle with children, he's a real cream-puff. However, at the first sign of trouble, the Black Russian comes out with a vengeance, and you're confronting a fearless and fearsome guard dog that nobody in his right mind would want to f-ck with. This is not something that was taught; this is his natural genetics.

Our guy happens to be friendly because of his breeding and a lot of intensive socialization. However, it is absolutely not necessary for your family guardian to be friendly with outsiders. But aggression in a Corso is probably more a product of weak nerves than protectiveness.

Cost aside, there are probably better choices for you in a family guardian, but that's another topic. Best of luck in your search!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Totally agree with prntmkr!

You only want to spend around $500 for a pup. I'm only 100% certain you won't find a pup from a good breeder at that price. Usually you get what you pay for, not always some bad breeders charge higher price for poor quality. But I've known people to go "cheap" on a CC and end up with a severely ill dog or extreme genetic temperament problem. These are just the few I know. I've heard of plenty more.

Temperament and health should be your main concerns. Your the one getting the dog, so its your choice where you get it but I'd really hate to see you post in 6 month thst your dog died from a genetic defect or has developed temperament issues.

I understand people expect purity, you don't want to pay for a specific breed that is an F1 cross but you have to at least realize that there are/can be several breeds behind your CC. Think of them as a developed bandog.

Certain breeds tend to be more costly large breeds are many times more expensive to own, then cost into showing or working, health test, acquiring stock, sometimes a stud fee. You have to consider the expense. If you only want to pay a little you might as well rescue, you are getting the same quality more or less.

You might not want to show or breed but that's not the importance of paperwork. The true importance is partially purity (if they are correct) AND very importantly the pedigree to find out genetic health (can aid in temperament too). You need to see the pedigree before you give the breeder a dime imo.

Also see how much ears cost in your area. I've had vets quote me $100 to a ridiculous $300. Others I know their vets have been less or more. If a vet in your area is cheaper then you can save a lil $.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I am not experienced with Canes. If you really are looking for that breed, stop reading this post.

If you're looking for a family dog that will scare of strangers, and you have a limited budget, go get a rescue Lab. They are great with the family and will bark a lot. Or you might get a Dobie... they are very family oriented and have to be socialized to like strangers... both are intelligent breeds and comparatively easy to train. I believe that they are consistent and predictable.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm just wondering with the prices of these dogs if I am being unreasonable (too cheap lol) in my search. Here's what I'm looking for. (ideally)

I don't need the actual papers (big $$ saver) as I don't plan on showing dog or breeding for that matter... but I want to KNOW that the dog is purebred... which means I need to see papers on both parents as assurance as opposed to taking someone's 'word' Even at a deal it's still not change you'd find in your couch the price of these.

Price... this is the sticky point... if I wanna pay $1200-2k I could find these ALL DAY... but I'm looking (with ears... and I started out my max at only several hundred dollars... but have slowly realized I've been WAY too cheap lol) at spending a max (with EARS) of $750... is this going to happen or am I living a pipe dream?

I've talked to several people, one parent has papers the other doesn't for various reasons (so far I've heard that 'papers were lost I'm contacting iccf but don't have them yet takes 30 days'... as well as 'paid 2k for mom dog from friend of childs dad and I saw papers but never got them now they're playing games and want 2500 for papers') as 2 different excuses.

Thing is I know it's a 'deal' but I don't want to pay $750 for a dog that very well could be a corso/pit mix etc and I'm only taking the word of someone I don't know and lives several hours away from me you know?

I live in Ohio. Have checked puppyfind.com as well as petfinder.com (2nd site mostly shelter dogs and not what I want in an aggressive breed like this).

I've also searched breeders but typically they would run on the cheap side of 1500, and by searched I mean a yahoo search of my state. I could go West Virginia easily... Pennsylvania not quite as easy, and Indian/Michigan not as easy as well but could make a drive if need be but I'm S.E. Ohio. Any ideas? Suggestions? Or am I too cheap and just screwed if this is the dog I want????
I think Peace for Paws in Dublin, Ohio has a Cane they are trying to find a home for... and I beleve it's a puppy.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22528046

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Corso is on my short list of breeds. Gr8 dog!

First, aggression does not equate to protectiveness. Depending upon his underlying temperament and the reason for his aggressiveness, an aggressive dog may or may not protect. Aggression is simply that - aggression. It is a potential lawsuit, or worse, in waiting. And especially when it comes to kids, the last thing you want is an aggressive dog.

There are those who will tell you that when push comes to shove, without proper training, few if any dogs will actually protect. I am not one of those. A well-bred Corso of good lines should protect, but there are no guarantees that he will.

Having looked into the breed on both sides of the border, my impression is that getting a well-bred Corso from good lines will probably cost you more than you're now prepared to pay. So now you're down to the very many BYB's and mediocre breeders popping out puppies to make a few dollars. In Ohio, you're bound to find a lot of these. That's not to say that you won't be able to find your ideal dog somewhere in that quagmire, but do be very careful...

This is a wonderful breed, but temperament is all over the spectrum. You could wind up with anything from an overly sharp Corso (which would be a constant concern), to a timid dog (fear-biter), or anything in between. And from what owners tell me, there are almost as many timid Corsi out there as overly sharp ones. Again, you have to be very careful in your choice of breeder, litter and puppy.

Docked tails and dew claws should add little or nothing to the price. Ears, if done properly and well (and not just hacked off) are often a pricey option. As cost seems to be an issue, you might want to rethink the ears. I assume you like that "tough-dog" look for the intimidation factor. And although I do like cropped ears in certain breeds (for other reasons, and not for Corsi), if your dog goes into protective mode, he will not need those mean-looking ears to do the job!

Back at protection, a good family guardian should not be aggressive at all. Rather, he should be very calm and self-assured. If, for example, you met our boy, you'd see a docile, friendly fur-ball who, never in your wildest imagination could you see him protecting anything. He can be taken anywhere and trusted with anyone. Docile with benign strangers and dogs, and always gentle with children, he's a real cream-puff. However, at the first sign of trouble, the Black Russian comes out with a vengeance, and you're confronting a fearless and fearsome guard dog that nobody in his right mind would want to f-ck with. This is not something that was taught; this is his natural genetics.

Our guy happens to be friendly because of his breeding and a lot of intensive socialization. However, it is absolutely not necessary for your family guardian to be friendly with outsiders. But aggression in a Corso is probably more a product of weak nerves than protectiveness.

Cost aside, there are probably better choices for you in a family guardian, but that's another topic. Best of luck in your search!
As always a great post and a very eloquent way to put it! You said it much better than I ever could.

I am not experienced with Canes. If you really are looking for that breed, stop reading this post.

If you're looking for a family dog that will scare of strangers, and you have a limited budget, go get a rescue Lab. They are great with the family and will bark a lot. Or you might get a Dobie... they are very family oriented and have to be socialized to like strangers... both are intelligent breeds and comparatively easy to train. I believe that they are consistent and predictable.
I kind of get insulted when I read posts like this. It comes across that my breed is not a great family dog which is quite simply not true, they are certainly great family dogs but are not the dogs for everyone regardless if you have family or not. My dogs are around my 2 girls and socialized extensively, and are shown at at least a couple shows a year, that being said you will not get near either of my girls if we are not there. The will always put themselves between my kids and a stranger unless we are there to say otherwise. A correctly bred, stable corso, like was said above should not be aggressive they can be aloof (which a lot of people don't like but I have no issues with my dog not liking everyone, I certainly don't) but stable and loyal and protective to their owner.

And no matter the breed you get what you pay for whether a cheap lab, cheap corso, or any other breed quality doesn't come cheap regardless of breed.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

I would not suggest a doberman. A well bred doberman will also be in the $1200 - $2500 price range. The breed is riddled with expensive health issues and if the OP doesn't want to spend more than $750 for a well bred dog than the health issues that come with dobermans is not for them. The "cheap" dobes also have temperament issues to take into consideration. Also, dobes have to be socialized PERIOD. They are bred to interpret a strange person's intentions as either good or bad and that cannot be accurately done if they haven't met plenty of people. An under socialized doberman is a dangerous doberman.

OP - if you have contacted reputable Corso breeders (you're not likely to find them on puppy-find) and the lower side of average is $1200 then wait, save some money, and pay the $1200. This is a dog that NEEDS to come from sound breeding to be able to do their job correctly. You're also much less likely to have expensive vet bills with a dog from a reputable breeder. What you pay extra in purchase price you save ten-fold at the vet. Have you contacted legitimately reputable breeders? I'd suggest going through the Cane Corso Association of America. It's a great starting point. Research what makes a breeder reputable, don't just assume they are. Look for health tests (whatever is needed for this breed) and proof of ability be it in the conformation ring and/or in a working venue.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
If you're looking for a family dog that will scare of strangers and you have a limited budget... Or you might get a Dobie... they are very family oriented and have to be socialized to like strangers... both are intelligent breeds and comparatively easy to train. I believe that they are consistent and predictable.
Really? Please don't advise on breeds you don't know, a Dobe from a REPUTABLE breeder with the correct temperment and health is NOT cheap, add to that the additional insurance you'll have to pay due to breed discrimination they are NOT dogs you'll want if you're 'on a budget'. "Cheap" Dobes (from a BYB or mill) will get you all kinds of health problems and the temperment will be a crap shoot.

A Corso is a rare breed, you're going to shell out the money to get a well bred CC, but it would be worth it. You could also look at English Mastiffs, once again an expensive breed (from a GOOD, REPUTABLE breeder) but they have the size that helps as a deterrent.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I kind of get insulted when I read posts like this. It comes across that my breed is not a great family dog which is quite simply not true, they are certainly great family dogs but are not the dogs for everyone regardless if you have family or not. A correctly bred, stable corso,
And with all of the above conditions met I worry about the finding a correct owner. When somebody asks about an aggressive but not to aggressive dog I'm just not sure about the outcome of the partnership. But that's just me.

Then there is another thread about having a Cane Corso and a Mastiff together in same house. Curious and curiouser.

·
Registered
574 Posts
their are a few canes in my training group (the trainer has one and I guess that atracts other owners in the area) I have been very impressed w their temperaments. have an intimidating look/size though.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
As always a great post and a very eloquent way to put it! You said it much better than I ever could.

I kind of get insulted when I read posts like this. It comes across that my breed is not a great family dog which is quite simply not true, they are certainly great family dogs but are not the dogs for everyone regardless if you have family or not. My dogs are around my 2 girls and socialized extensively, and are shown at at least a couple shows a year, that being said you will not get near either of my girls if we are not there. The will always put themselves between my kids and a stranger unless we are there to say otherwise. A correctly bred, stable corso, like was said above should not be aggressive they can be aloof (which a lot of people don't like but I have no issues with my dog not liking everyone, I certainly don't) but stable and loyal and protective to their owner.

And no matter the breed you get what you pay for whether a cheap lab, cheap corso, or any other breed quality doesn't come cheap regardless of breed.
Agreed, aggression doesn't equal protectiveness & protectiveness is really more of a personality thing then a breed thing, my old ACD (god rest her soul) was one of the most protective dogs I had & the ACD really isn't a 'known' protective dog but she was more protective then any GSD or Dottie I have known. She was great at it because she k DW how to 'read' ppl & determine if they were a threat or not (if the situation was appropriate for her to do so) or she would watch me & go off the vibes she got from me.

IMHO that's what a good 'guard' dog should act like, but I also had to socialize the heck out of her to get that result.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just rescued a cane corso that was about a year old for free:) You don't want an "aggressive" cane corso, they are big strong and loyal dogs. Their looks alone will keep people away. You can see if they have a rescue group in your area for these dogs. These dogs are becoming more popular and I hope that they don't become as popular as pit bulls and used for the same purpose:( I have seen lots of them looking for new homes, because people just don't know what they are getting into with this breed. Lots of training and socializing and you can have a perfect dog!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
You dont need aggression in any dog. Aggression is a liability and it will get you into a whole lot of trouble...when, not if! You're looking at a big, strong working breed. You want a dog that is physically and mentally stable. I would think a nervy Corso would be a potential threat to your family as well as everyone around him.

When my Saint puppy was just shy of 5 months old he sent 2 young men racing from my yard at a dead run purely by his body posture. This was a puppy with half of his teeth missing due to teething. At 3 years old Buster will very happily meet most people. Dont mistake this as him not being a good protector! Ive put a lot of time into socializing him, teaching him to be able to know the difference between a friendly stranger and a potential threat.

My boy is not well bred, he's a $200 BYB pup. Ive spent enough on "sick" visits to have bought myself a well bred puppy...so much for saving money. He has life long medical issues. Mentally he was a complete mess, very fearful, when I got him. I have spent almost 3 years (1 month until he's been with me 3 years) working with him every single day. Fighting to get his medical stuff under control, socializing like crazy (its easy with a Saint but likely to be tougher with a CC)...basically trying to overcome his genetics.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Really? Please don't advise on breeds you don't know, a Dobe from a REPUTABLE breeder with the correct temperment and health is NOT cheap, add to that the additional insurance you'll have to pay due to breed discrimination they are NOT dogs you'll want if you're 'on a budget'. "Cheap" Dobes (from a BYB or mill) will get you all kinds of health problems and the temperment will be a crap shoot.

A Corso is a rare breed, you're going to shell out the money to get a well bred CC, but it would be worth it. You could also look at English Mastiffs, once again an expensive breed (from a GOOD, REPUTABLE breeder) but they have the size that helps as a deterrent.
Of course protectiveness is more of a TEMPERMENT trait then a BREED trait IMHO. My Izze was VERY protective & the heeler breed isn't a 'known' protection breed. Where the GSD & dobie I had were not protective at ALL lol, they were the nicest kindest dogs you'd ever come across.

Also a good protector is discriminate on who they like & who they don't sometimes depending on the dog/breed. Just because a dog is friendly & polite & a 'greeter' type doesn't mean they won't protect you if need be. Just saying :).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts