Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 mo goldendoodle puppy.

We're getting her spayed soon, and she had a preop blood test. Two older tests for kidney function (creatine and BUN, maybe?) were completely normal. The new-fangled SDMA test was pretty high (22; normal range 0-14).

The vet had me collect first morning urine; that turned out normal (I think it was a measure of urine "density").

Everything I can find on the web indicates the SDMA test is very sensitive and specific for kidney disease, and that it turns up positive earlier than the older measures. Yet all the other measures are fine, and the dog seems completely healthy, doesn't drink or pee too much, doesn't have accidents, etc.

The web seems to imply that the test is extremely reliable, but no test is 100% reliable.

Does anyone else have experience with this test turning out bad, and later turning out normal?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Our Newfoundland's bloodwork just showed an elevated SDMA (everything else was fine). Our vet basically said that, to simplify, if the creatine and BUN start going out of the norm, the dog is probably going to start to develop kidney issues in about two years. With this new test, it predicts that the Bun and creatine will be out of the norm in two years. So basically it's an early warning sign for kidney issues. Gives you an extra heads up to start working on that stuff now, instead of later.

Since this just happened with us, I don't have any data on how it turns out, but we're switching her food to a lower phosphorous one. Looking into getting a raw diet recipes formulated to improve kidney issues. Heck, even just start her on a prescription Science Diet if she does well on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

So it sounds like two years plus two years.

I'm going to have my pooch retested, just in case the test-retest reliability isn't 100% (which it never is).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts