Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at the Town park I was working on Atka for attention. She was doing very well. I asked for an off leash short distance recall and then I asked for her to get into heel position. She was sloppy and at an angle so I said to her, "Where do you belong?" and she squared it up nicely.

A little later I asked for heel position again and she was sloppy again. I grabbed her scruff (not hard.. and shook it gently and asked her, "What are you DOING?" ;) Oh was I in trouble...

She growled (you know that play growl dogs have?) and immediatly play bit my leg and worked up my shin with her teeth (it was not hard but I yelled OWWWWW anyway). She let loose my leg and she grabbed my hand (Playing) and immediately looked at my face and barked. I reached for her scruff and she grabbed my glove and took off with it.. making that play growl noise and shaking my glove as if to say, "Yeah.. Shake MY scruff will ya? this should be YOU!"

I called her, but she was all done by this time.. the glove and the play growling.. she came to me and dropped the glove and grabbed my sleeve then layed down on the ground, rolled over on her back and waved all 4 feet in the air biting the grass and kicking me in the shins with her hind feet(Honest.. she alpha rolled her self... :eek:). Class dismissed.. or is it Trainer dismissed??? :p

I guess I need to be WAY more severe with this dog. She is just running amock.... Obviously a danger.. *sigh*

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sometimes you have to work with the other end of the dog.....wherever the brains seem to be on that day.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I have to control how much of CM and Nat Geo she watches.....

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
ROFLMAO! Well, I guess she showed YOU! LOL

Maddy was a quick study, but, got real bored with repetitive obedience work, at which time she would put her own spin on things - like suddenly going off into the audience to give a quick hug/kiss to family/friend, then would race back into position, and look at me with that Porpoise-mouth grin on her face. Sigh. She's got a real bent sense of humor, that girl.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Maddy was a quick study, but, got real bored with repetitive obedience work, at which time she would put her own spin on things - like suddenly going off into the audience to give a quick hug/kiss to family/friend, then would race back into position, and look at me with that Porpoise-mouth grin on her face. Sigh. She's got a real bent sense of humor, that girl.
LOL that had to be funny to watch :)

Dogs are crazy. They certainly have their...unique way of looking at the world.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Last night at the Town park I was working on Atka for attention. She was doing very well. I asked for an off leash short distance recall and then I asked for her to get into heel position. She was sloppy and at an angle so I said to her, "Where do you belong?" and she squared it up nicely.

A little later I asked for heel position again and she was sloppy again. I grabbed her scruff (not hard.. and shook it gently and asked her, "What are you DOING?" ;) Oh was I in trouble...

She growled (you know that play growl dogs have?) and immediatly play bit my leg and worked up my shin with her teeth (it was not hard but I yelled OWWWWW anyway). She let loose my leg and she grabbed my hand (Playing) and immediately looked at my face and barked. I reached for her scruff and she grabbed my glove and took off with it.. making that play growl noise and shaking my glove as if to say, "Yeah.. Shake MY scruff will ya? this should be YOU!"

I called her, but she was all done by this time.. the glove and the play growling.. she came to me and dropped the glove and grabbed my sleeve then layed down on the ground, rolled over on her back and waved all 4 feet in the air biting the grass and kicking me in the shins with her hind feet(Honest.. she alpha rolled her self... :eek:). Class dismissed.. or is it Trainer dismissed??? :p

I guess I need to be WAY more severe with this dog. She is just running amock.... Obviously a danger.. *sigh*

It sounds like you lost your leadership with the dog. Essentially you went from level one (asking her to heel) to level three (by correcting her physical touch and verbal yelling) To the dog you just acted like an unstable leader. From the dogs point of view..... you asked the dog (a one word command), she challenged to see what would happpen (by being sloppy) then instead of a minor "reminder" (by light touch or verbal "ah ah") you asked the dog a question in an elevated tone. The dog just saw you as an equal, not a leader. To add being elevated ( in voice) encourages excitment and play, hence the dog wanting to play bite, wrestle and play chase.

Now this is not to say that you're a bad dog owner by any means and that your dog will never listen to you again. It just means that's what happened. Dogs live in the moment, she won't remember that moment the way you do. :)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It sounds like you lost your leadership with the dog. Essentially you went from level one (asking her to heel) to level three (by correcting her physical touch and verbal yelling) To the dog you just acted like an unstable leader. From the dogs point of view..... you asked the dog (a one word command), she challenged to see what would happpen (by being sloppy) then instead of a minor "reminder" (by light touch or verbal "ah ah") you asked the dog a question in an elevated tone. The dog just saw you as an equal, not a leader. To add being elevated ( in voice) encourages excitment and play, hence the dog wanting to play bite, wrestle and play chase.

Now this is not to say that you're a bad dog owner by any means and that your dog will never listen to you again. It just means that's what happened. Dogs live in the moment, she won't remember that moment the way you do. :)
Well, that over analyzes it a bit.. LOL

I did not yell at her.. I asked her a question in a conversational tone of voice (I do this). I didn't roughly scruff her.. I held her scruff and rolled it back and forth slowly and she took that to mean, Oh! PLAY TIME!! :rolleyes:

Atka was BORED. We had been doing other stuff in a different location (another Town) b4 the Town park and she was letting me know it was time to PLAY. Ultimately I had to agree..

A dog that initiates play, especially a dog who thinks training is sort of play too is just.. well.. wanting to take a break and PLAY. LOL

Sometimes it is OK to let the dog decide something. No dog I have owned wants a dictator.
This dog has a sense of humor, usually at my expense.

I have been described as "unstable" but all those times happened as I was showing some guy the door and suggesting it not hit him the the backside on his way out...

Shoot, sounds to me like it's Wrestlemania or mixed martial arts.:p
I don't know what they all watch when I am not here..... I don't know if I want to know...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well, that over analyzes it a bit.. LOL

I did not yell at her.. I asked her a question in a conversational tone of voice (I do this). I didn't roughly scruff her.. I held her scruff and rolled it back and forth slowly and she took that to mean, Oh! PLAY TIME!! :rolleyes:

Atka was BORED. We had been doing other stuff in a different location (another Town) b4 the Town park and she was letting me know it was time to PLAY. Ultimately I had to agree..

A dog that initiates play, especially a dog who thinks training is sort of play too is just.. well.. wanting to take a break and PLAY. LOL

Sometimes it is OK to let the dog decide something. No dog I have owned wants a dictator.
This dog has a sense of humor, usually at my expense.

I have been described as "unstable" but all those times happened as I was showing some guy the door and suggesting it not hit him the the backside on his way out...

I don't know what they all watch when I am not here..... I don't know if I want to know...
I'm sorry to have bothered you with this post. I thought you were looking for some advice.... these suggestions were simply given on the description you gave us, if I had known you did something that normally initiates play my suggestions would've started differently. Good luck with your continuos training.:)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
S'OK CJac&mac... Dog and I were having some fun. Hard to get that across in writing sometimes......

Training time can segue into silly time once in awhile. Last night was all business and she did well (no sloppy sits).. and AFTER I was done I had her in a sit and wait next to the truck... and I got out her Tug Toy..

..her pupils dilated at its sight and I released her and we got right down to a good solid game of tug and chase.. complete with those play growls, shaking the toy 'viciously' and dragging me around. People walked by and we got some looks. Maybe I shouldn't growl back... :p

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hard to get that across in writing sometimes......
I couldn't agree more:)

Training time can segue into silly time once in awhile. Last night was all business and she did well (no sloppy sits).. and AFTER I was done I had her in a sit and wait next to the truck... and I got out her Tug Toy..

..her pupils dilated at its sight and I released her and we got right down to a good solid game of tug and chase.. complete with those play growls, shaking the toy 'viciously' and dragging me around. People walked by and we got some looks. Maybe I shouldn't growl back... :p
Well if you are playing with her and pretending to be a canine alpha leader..... then growl away.:D

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mostly I growl to scare off the people and young children. Seems to work well.....

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
S'OK CJac&mac... Dog and I were having some fun. Hard to get that across in writing sometimes......

LOL once I was playing chase with Wally and he was REALLY wound up, and he started barking at me at the top of his lungs. Some people were outside and they could only stare at this big bark coming from a small dog. Some people came to their windows, and they probably wondered why I didn't make him stop barking so much at me or why I was "barking" back

Your story reminded me of that :)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only true dog people "get it..."

Or is it that only true dog people are this.. uhhh.. insane? I think they used to put people like us in a "place..." but the laws have changed and as long as we don't pose a threat to ourselves or others they let us loose.... and they know we walk among them....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts