Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just adopted a 9 month old blue heeler mix on monday night. The first two days that I had her she didn't bark much, only 3 times. Each time was a single bark. Tuesday night I fell asleep (worn out from playing with her so much) and she chewed apart her nylabone dental chew, chipping away at about a fifth of the bone. I woke up that night and heard her vomiting and found pieces of the bone in her vomit. There were a lot of pieces considering the amount that she chewed, even found 1 or two in her stool the next morning so I think that she got all of them out. However, I have noticed over the past few days that when she barks she seems to have trouble, either at first or after barking a few times. Sounds like a hoarse squeak. She is up to date on vaccinations, had her bordatella two weeks ago. She is drinking and eating no problem and shows no signs of pain when I massage her throat. My guess is that she scratched her throat throwing the pieces back up and that is making her voice a bit squeaky. Of course, I hadn't heard her bark a ton prior so I am not sure if it is her natural bark (this I doubt but know its possible). I called the vet and they said to look for signs of infection and if it doesn't get better in a few days I should def. bring her in. My questions are 1) Has anyone ever had a dog that scratched it's throat? 2) Are these the normal signs? 3) If so, how long did it take to get better and is there anything I can do to help? 4) Could it be anything more serious? Thank you so much :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts