Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that Atka had some tartar on two molars (opposite sides of the mouth). I decided to brush her teeth and scrape the tartar.. or to make a try at it since I had never done either thing with my dog.

My last dog might have allowed the brushing but I know that at some point I would have needed a mild sedative for her (maybe for both of us) or I could have lost some body parts.

I went into this like I do everything with my animals.. Assuming she would let me do it.

I put her in a sit and pulled her gums back and started scraping. She just sat there and let me. Got done with one side, let her know she was a Good Dog and she leaped around like, "More More! Lets do more!"

I obliged her and did the other side. Got all the tartar off.

Then I brushed her teeth...

A dentist could not have asked for a better patient. The thing is, scraping her teeth had to sound really gnarly in her head.. It sure does when I get my teeth cleaned... and she just sat there. Maybe she was terrified of the noise and froze in place?

So, how many of you clean your own dog's teeth with no problem? Just wondering. Seems most dogs would just hate it...

Of course, I have cleaned the cats' teeth too and mostly they are OK with it but not as OK as my dog was today.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I clean my dogs' teeth and they don't like it, but they tolerate it.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
After you do the scraping it is wise to brush the teeth with a doggy toothpaste. The mild abrasives in the toothpaste will help to polish the microscopic grooves caused by the scraping. Otherwise the plaque tends to build up in the grooves even faster than before.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yes.. I did that. She thought it was fun.

Planning to brush them 2X a week from now on.

I wish I liked going and getting MY teeth cleaned as much as Atka seemed to enjoy getting hers cleaned.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get tartar removing dental tools on line.. I think I have seen then at Dr's Foster and Smith and maybe at Pet Supplies Delivered (Omaha Vaccine).

What did I use today? I used this nifty tool for pulling finishing nails that has a crurved head and is perfect for the job. Now that I know the dog is OK with this, I will get the "right" tools.

I found out the cost of dental work at the vet... Oh yeah.. it is very smart to maintain your dog's teeth!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I use dental tools purchased at WalMart.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I do their teeth by myself. If I did dentals at the vets for all of them I'd go broke.

I scale and brush. I have a really nice scaler that I got from Drs Foster and Smith (I LOVE IT!) I first started out with a scaler that my dentist gave me as a teenager, and I learned how to do their teeth.

I do have one dog that hates it, but too bad for her, as she's not paying the bills and she just has to deal with it.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have a dental scaler or 10 ( :) ) and I have scaled all of my dogs teeth. Some were better then others and all allow it without a whole lot of argument. My old dog Bear LOVED it. He would run around like a loon and come flying in and slide stop on his side with his head on my lap. As soon as I finished with one side he would flip without any effort on my part for the other side. I loved him but looking back I think he was a little odd. lol
The boys I have now are good too, they tolerate it well. I doubt they Love it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts