Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a puppy. I've been looking for the right one for more than 6 months, but no luck yet.

I'd like a german shepherd the most, as we used to own one and the breed is the best match for me. Our german shepherd was put to sleep at 12 years old, because of hip dysplasia. I've decided to look for a puppy from working lines, with parent that have passed the health tests, to minimize a chance of that happening again.

I have troubles finding a pedigree with excellent health results, especially as I'd like a bit heavier, larger dog (around 40 kg for a male).

I have met two dogs (mother and daughter) that are just what I'm looking for, size and temper wise, trainability, and have the tests done. Hips are excellent (A), but elbows worry me…

The mother (let's call her O) has a 'noch zugelassen result' for elbow, which means still acceptable. I've did a bit of research and it seems to me that this is equal to result 1 in BVA standards. And they discourage breeding dogs with result 1. In german shepherds the noch zugelassen (still acceptable) result is fine to breed. This confuses me. Will the dog with that result be healthy or not?

The bitch called O had 6 puppies in past years and 5 of them had the health tests done. All of them had perfect scores for hips and elbows (the sire has perfect scores).
O's parents didn't have elbows checked, just hips (all As), but 3 of O's full siblings have and there are 2 results of normal and 1 almost normal (which is still a better result than 'still acceptable').

This year O will have a litter with the same sire as in the past litter: the health results were perfect for hips and elbows in the past litter (they are all grown up and gorgeous, had a chance to meet them!).

Also her daughter R (with perfect health results) is having a litter too, with healthy sire, it will be her first litter.

Would you take a puppy from this breeder, a puppy from a mother with 'still acceptable' elbow results?

Would it be wiser to take a puppy from a mother O, with not so great elbows, that I've seen what she produces (healthy pups with that certain sire) or would you take a puppy from her daughter that has pefect scores, but for all I know, could be a carrier for a elbow dysplasia and it would show in her puppies?

HELP!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If she reliably produces puppies with good elbows and you like other dogs in her line, I'd take her. You could try pm'ing xeph on this forum. She breeds GSDs (and does she ever breed some fine, fine dogs!). She would have more insight than most on the issue.

ETA: You shouldn't discount show breeders. Xeph's dogs don't have HD issues because she tests for it and breeds to other dogs with good hips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Turns out that the older girl (mother) didn't get pregnant, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a puppy from the next litter (from the younger one). I've checked out a lot of dogs and no one comes close to these. I just can't get them of my mind.

And yep, I checked out show breeders too, but most of them don't test their dogs and those rare that have, don't have the ancestors tests scores. It's much easier to get information about working lines.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
"Will the dog with that result be healthy or not?" is an unanswerable question. The odds are somewhat better for a dam with "perfect" elbows, but the difference may not even be real . . . could be a matter of positioning on the Xray table. In my breed (Labradors) I know of a very popular GrCh sire with pretty bad elbows who has thrown mostly 0:0 elbow pups . . . the sire's bad score could, as the stud's owner suspects, be a result of some juvenile trauma. Also, there's a lot more to health than elbows.

Sounds like this decision made itself, however.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts