Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically what the title says. Hubby was scolding the puppy (Penny) today for chewing on a shoe...the older dog (Belle) always comes over to see what's going on when Penny gets scolded.

But this time was different...when hubby was done, we saw that Belle was shaking...like she was afraid of him. Obviously we both started to pet her and talk to her and she got happy again pretty quickly.

It was just really odd...and I'm not sure why she did that :confused:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Stop scolding and start training. Dogs are not dumb...they recognize threats from across the room...and yes, Hubby is a threat....that's not what you want to teach.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
What Tooney said. The person who left the shoe out for the puppy to find is who deserves to be scolded - s/he knows better. The puppy doesn't.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
All he did was say "no, this is not yours!" And gave her a toy. He does yell some...which I don't like...but not much I can do about that.

What Tooney said. The person who left the shoe out for the puppy to find is who deserves to be scolded - s/he knows better. The puppy doesn't.
How is the puppy going to understand what is hers and what is ours if we do not scold her for playing with our stuff? We can't take everything away that she could possible destroy....like the piano....

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
All he did was say "no, this is not yours!" And gave her a toy. He does yell some...which I don't like...but not much I can do about that.

How is the puppy going to understand what is hers and what is ours if we do not scold her for playing with our stuff? We can't take everything away that she could possible destroy....like the piano....
You can talk to your husband about the yelling (because you are both human adults)

Pick up EVERYTHING you can. The piano she shouldn't be around unsupervised. When she goes for it, redirect her. Reward her for playing with her toys. Try bitter apple on it as well, it's non-toxic.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You can talk to your husband about the yelling (because you are both human adults)

Pick up EVERYTHING you can. The piano she shouldn't be around unsupervised. When she goes for it, redirect her. Reward her for playing with her toys. Try bitter apple on it as well, it's non-toxic.
I have...I think it's just his reaction.

Bitter apple what? The piano is over 100 yrs old...I don't want to mess it up.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Perhaps it would help if you explained to hubby that dogs are attracted to and absolutely love items that have the strong scent of their owners...shoes, socks, underwear. That is their way of bonding closer with you but, to yell at them for doing that (wanting to bond closer) is confusing as Hell.
A simple UTTT will do and then exchange for something appropriate with lots of praise. Have hubby carry around a tennis ball for a few days (putting his scent on it) and then teach fetch.....that can become the #1 most valued item for the dog and is a good outlet/game.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps it would help if you explained to hubby that dogs are attracted to and absolutely love items that have the strong scent of their owners...shoes, socks, underwear. That is their way of bonding closer with you but, to yell at them for doing that (wanting to bond closer) is confusing as Hell.
A simple UTTT will do and then exchange for something appropriate with lots of praise. Have hubby carry around a tennis ball for a few days (putting his scent on it) and then teach fetch.....that can become the #1 most valued item for the dog and is a good outlet/game.
Hubby has had dogs since he was a boy, these are my first two. He knows a lot more about dogs than I do. That's also why I think he reacts the way he does...it's what his dad did with his dogs growing up.

I think he would look at my like I was absolutely crazy if I suggested he should carry around a tennis ball, lol.

I'll talk to him about the yelling. I think that is part of the reason why our older dog is so emotional.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have 1.5 trained dogs (Brutus is half trained) and I've never scolded either one. If they're doing something I don't like I say, "Aaaaaatt" in a firm voice. It takes about 2 seconds to say and the dog picks up that he is not behaving the way I want. It doesn't give my other dog time to come from across the room and see what's going on. It's a very quick verbal correction.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
=emily445455;545580]All he did was say "no, this is not yours!" And gave her a toy. He does yell some...which I don't like...but not much I can do about that.
Your older dog was shaking in response - THAT says voluumes about "all he did." Yelling at dogs doesn't work any better than yelling at children. You CAN do something about it - use your voice! Let him know you don't like the yelling.

You puppyproof the house just as parents do for babies/toddlers. Parents who leave everything out, then run around screaming NO, and/or slapping hands create more work for themselves than if they'd keep the area picked up and clear of anything not appropriate. (They also create children who don't listen, and become screamers, too.) Training will help you communicate with your puppy, and should start right now. When you cannot supervise your puppy, then contain her in an ex-pen, or in her crate. This will keep her safe, and your personal belongings safe as well.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your older dog was shaking in response - THAT says voluumes about "all he did." Yelling at dogs doesn't work any better than yelling at children. You CAN do something about it - use your voice! Let him know you don't like the yelling.
I have said things to him. But he just gets angry at me. Maybe I will try again next time he does it. I yell at them sometimes too out of frustration...but I'm not as scary as my hubby cause my voice isn't as low and I can't yell as loud.

The shoes are the only thing left on the floor...everything else is either up, or in a room with the door closed.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have said things to him. But he just gets angry at me. Maybe I will try again next time he does it. I yell at them sometimes too out of frustration...but I'm not as scary as my hubby cause my voice isn't as low and I can't yell as loud.

The shoes are the only thing left on the floor...everything else is either up, or in a room with the door closed.
Next time your husband does anything wrong just go on a 5 minute tirade on him. Then calmly say "honey you didn't like that did you?" :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next time your husband does anything wrong just go on a 5 minute tirade on him. Then calmly say "honey you didn't like that did you?" :)
Lol, def not going to do this. Submission is something I struggle with and am working on.

I'll mention something next time it happens...something like, I don't think that's the best approach or along those lines.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
It sounds to me like your husband may have anger problems and you two definitely have communication problems.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It sounds to me like your husband may have anger problems and you two definitely have communication problems.
He has some anger issues...but nothing real serious. He's just very set in his ways, and gets upset if I challenge them. He's getting better though.

And I haven't met a married couple yet that doesn't have some communication problems :) I am learning how to bring up issues and how to word them.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I think its unrealistic for everyone to think an owner is NEVER going to yell at their dogs. We are human and we react, sometimes it isn't the appropiate reaction, but it does happen. I don't think it means "anger issues". The dog isn't being beaten, from what I've read.

Emily, when my hubby and I got our first puppy (stupidly) there was a lot of yelling going on. She was a nut. (It was our fault) Hubby was the yeller, for the most part. I had bad moments too. Our first dog is how you describe yours, "emotional."

I think what really got my hub was one time when he went to scold Jiggy and she looked at him with these huge eyes.... I said, "See how shes looking at you? Shes afraid. I would never want anyone to look at me like that."

Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, they are most definitly not beaten. I don't believe in hitting a dog...since we pet them in the same areas that we hit them...IDK, just seems weird.

I think that's why our older one is so emotional. We tried our best...but neither of us knew how to best raise a dog. We are doing things differently with the puppy (at least I am)...and I noticed hubby doesn't yell at her as much as he did the 1st. Hopefully Penny has a better puppyhood :(

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Ok Emily, start with training the pup to 'leave it' using this Doggy Zen have hubby use the training exercise as well, it's always better to teach a dog to DO something than to yell at it to stop doing something (same with our kids ;) ). If everyone is consistant with the rules that pup should learn quickly. Be sure to redirect to something the pup IS allowed to chew on as pups need to chew just a babies need to suckle. Remind hubby that the pup IS still a baby even though the body may not look like it and let him know that even grown dogs have the same mental capacity as 3-4 year old child.

The last thing you need is a fearful dog, fearful dogs tend to be more prone to aggression than confident dogs.

BTW, you can use Doggy Zen to increase Belle's confidence as well.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
He has some anger issues...but nothing real serious. He's just very set in his ways, and gets upset if I challenge them. He's getting better though.

And I haven't met a married couple yet that doesn't have some communication problems :) I am learning how to bring up issues and how to word them.
I don't know. Maybe I'm old fashioned or just naive. I admit I'm not married so my knowledge of marriage is limited. My parents have been married for 30 years and my grandparents for 60 if that means anything. Anyway, I would not want my wife to just be my sidekick and do whatever I want. Every wedding I've been to the paster/priest/minister/whatever pronounced the husband and wife as one flesh and said things like, "from henceforth you walk down life's road together" , etc, etcs..... That means (to me anyway) that you have just as much say in what goes on in the house as he does whether it's what you're going to eat for dinner, whether/when you're going to have kids, what your budget is going to look like next month or how you're going to discipline the dog. That's just my two cents anyway.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts