Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
My dogs are left-pawed when shaking, but that could be because I am a lefty and that's the way I showed them. Another interesting twist to left or right pawed dogs are are they naturally left or right-pawed or is it a picked up trait after their owner.

My dogs: Boston Terrier/Pit Mix & Pit/Am. Bulldog mix.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I think Wally is right-pawed. I can't tell too much when he's running - he almost looks like he's pushing off with both paws at the same time.

But when he's pawing at something (say to hold a bone or chew toy down or batting at the draw strings to my sweat pants :rolleyes: he usually uses his right paw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks again to everyone. We will probably stop collecting info sometime this weekend so we can start compiling the data and making the presentation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you all again for your help. We will start compiling on Sunday. Between personal dog interviews and this site, we should have over a hundred.

feel free to add more until then.

thanks,

Mitch

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alice -- Catahoula -- Righty
Brandy -- Dubious parentage -- Righty
Muffin -- Even more dubious parentage -- goes both ways apparently

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
There is another way to determine the preference for left or right. Dogs will almost always turn in one direction or the other....ie; playing fetch...Flyball....retrieveing a dumbell.....showing a preference for their dominant side.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts