Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is doing research for her science fair project, and she is testing dogs to see if they are right or left handed.

What is your dog? would you guys do a simple test and check for us?

Here is how we have been testing:

For some dogs, it might be as simple as "shake" or "hi-five", as our theory is that normally would be the dominant paw.

for others, we have been putting a small treat just out of reach of the pup, under the couch or something to see which paw they use to reach it.

For the really big dogs, it might be easier to put something up high, and out of reach...see if they will reach for it.

The only info we really need, is Dog name...breed if you would, but we aren't using the breed for anything specific.

Thanks.

Mitch - Iggy-pup

·
Registered
442 Posts
A friend and I were just talking about this a couple weeks ago .

Subjects name : Red . Will use both paws when asked to shake , about a 50/50 ratio . Same with trying to grab things stuck under the couch

Friends Dog named Sausage : For sure right handed

Both Aussie's

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Toby, the rough collie will shake with his right paw, but always leads off with a left hook when he's wrestling with Cameron.

Cameron, the smooth collie, shakes with his left and will lead with either when wrestling.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Lacey, definitely right....
Tir, left for wave but right for shake hands....touches w/ left
Saoirse, left, taught right to shake hands but wanted left...
Titch, uses either but the left is used 1st (ask to wave and he waves w/ left, if asked again will use either)

All Border Collies....also noted once that they tend to "lead" w/ that paw when running (Lacey the right but all the rest the left)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Libby rings the bell with her right, but uses her left first for shake and other paw tricks... but I think that is because I am right handed so when she is facing me, that puts her left paw closest to the target.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My dog normally gives his right paw first when I ask for it. Sometimes he'll give me his left though and if it misses my hand he'll put it back down on the ground and give me his right paw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all so much. The report is not due for a few weeks, so we'll get started with this info, and we'll keep an eye on this posting to see what gets added.

Thanks,

Mitch & Addie

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Beau- lefty
Rose- lefty
Summer- righty
Nard- righty

All papillons

Trey- neither? (sheltie)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts