Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Science Diet infuriate anyone else?I have yet to go to a vets office where they don't offer a 'sample bag' of SD or where they don't sell SD medicated food. And the top ingredients are pure CRAP! Science Diet also is the reason why my cat has a food allergy and now has to be on a $45, 8.8 pound bag of hypo-allergenic food. Yuck! Although I was only fooled by them for a couple months, I'm shocked that I was fooled by them at all! Because of them, I now will check and recheck any pet food ingredients, and will do research online before I actually buy the stuff.

So! What are your thoughts on Science Diet? Do you have the burning hatred of a thousand suns, or do they not seem so bad? I'm very curious as to what the actual dog community has to say about Science Diet, and not just a vet who got a major discount on some medicated food.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
There's a difference between Hills Science Diet and Hills Prescription Diets. And the Prescription diets aren't exactly "medicated" (might as well know what you're railing against if you're going to rail :p). I agree Science Diet isn't great, ingredients wise. I agree that a lot of vets push the food and that's annoying. But sometimes the Prescription diets are necessary.

I don't have the burning hatred of a thousand suns for Science Diet. I save that for Beneful :D.

·
Registered
332 Posts
When I took my dog to my cat vet, I'm a long time cat owner who's a first time dog owner, and they gave me a bag of SD. I donated it to my local shelter. My pup is on Blue Buffalo. My cats however are weird finicky eaters. They have a tendency to like the cheaper crap food. :doh:

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really didn't see the difference between 'prescription' and 'medicated' since either way you have to get it through your vet and it's a specialty food. But anyways, I never actually said anything about the prescription foods, as I've never used them and I would HOPE a vet wouldn't sell out so fast to give an animal a poor quality specialty food. But their store foods are terrible, at least for my animals. The cats would puke and puke and puke, and when I switched them to the 'sensitive stomach' version, they hated it. Which now I realize it's just an extra ingredient they add into the 'sensitive stomach' one, that supposedly makes a 'difference'. Also, my dogs, with their big dinner plate eyes, also ate the minimum amount food that they could and would just beg for food every time I ate. Now (I'm feeding 4Health Salmon and Potato) they eat what they're supposed to, and have the energy they should have. They also, to my surprise, beg hardly ever. But I do agree, since I have a cat on a special hypo-allergenic food, that it IS sometimes necessary to have a prescription food. But man, their store food, in my opinion, is way too expensive and can be compared to the low-shelf foods. It just has a higher price tag on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
99% of all commercial pet food makes me want to commit heinous crimes. They don't seem to care about the animals or the people shelling out the money, the just scrape all the worthless crap together that they can smash it into a little kibble and then tell you how great it is.

(Animal by-product) means a secondary or incidental product of animal production that may include bedding, spilled feed, water or soil, milking center washwater, contaminated milk, hair, feathers, dead animals or other debris. This definition may also refer to dead animal or animal manure compost.

And this lovely quote from the EPA!

Meat rendering plants process animal by-product materials for the production of tallow, grease,
and high-protein meat and bone meal. Plants that operate in conjunction with animal slaughterhouses
or poultry processing plants are called integrated rendering plants. Plants that collect their raw
materials from a variety of offsite sources are called independent rendering plants. Independent plants
obtain animal by-product materials, including grease, blood, feathers, offal, and entire animal
carcasses, from the following sources: butcher shops, supermarkets, restaurants, fast-food chains,
poultry processors, slaughterhouses, farms, ranches, feedlots, and animal shelters.
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/chief/ap42/ch09/final/c9s05-3.pdf

As soon as I found out we're feeding our pets the pets we didn't want I almost screamed. Thats horrifying!

Not only that but an FDA study of several commercial dog foods found sodium pentobarbital (The drug used to euthenize animals) had made it to the dog food! Suuuure it's in small amounts, only killing your dog a little!
http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OfficeofFoods/CVM/CVMFOIAElectronicReadingRoom/ucm129131.htm
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/pentobarbital-in-dog-food-never-resolved.html

Here is a really hard to read until you zoom in article that was printed around the 90s. Don't try too hard to read it as you will be scarred for life.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/12296452/Whats-Cookin-Ever-Wonder-What-Happens-to-Dead-Animals

In the end, they peddle us crap and we gobble it up because we can buy it 40lbs at a time while picking up milk and toilet paper. Who cares if its just corn husks, feathers, other dogs and the countless COUNTLESS chemicals that are added during the life time of that animal/plant and during its later processing, or lack of adoption at your local shelter! (Exaggerating, I hope!)

Ahh so much rage.... Even if you can ignore What goes into your dog food, you have to consider how these companies come up with their new products!
http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams01.htm
I'm not usually one for all that PETA mumbojumbo but good lord... those poor animals. IAMS and Eukanuba are two of the biggest names in dog food, toys and treats. How can they claim to care for our animals well being when they can physically do that to another animal.

In closing, your Science Diet has recently gotten a warning letter from the FDA.
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm281270.htm

And its not that hard to make your own kibbles with a dehydrator....

·
Registered
291 Posts
(Animal by-product) means a secondary or incidental product of animal production that may include bedding, spilled feed, water or soil, milking center washwater, contaminated milk, hair, feathers, dead animals or other debris. This definition may also refer to dead animal or animal manure compost.

Can you give us the reference source where you got this from. I would like to read this in its original context.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey there Nev!
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/livestock/livestock/camm/camm_files/general_defs.html
I simply posted the definition instead of the link because I got sucked into government websites searching for links (That place is like seeing a 9gag picture on your facebook, you know the next hours shot while you click your way through the bizzareness!) I did not pursue looking for a more explainational link.

If the forums don't post the reply this time I'm just going to unavoidably ignore you I'm sorry Nev.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Hey there Nev!
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/livestock/livestock/camm/camm_files/general_defs.html
I simply posted the definition instead of the link because I got sucked into government websites searching for links (That place is like seeing a 9gag picture on your facebook, you know the next hours shot while you click your way through the bizzareness!) I did not pursue looking for a more explainational link.

If the forums don't post the reply this time I'm just going to unavoidably ignore you I'm sorry Nev.
And unless the feed states specifically that it does not, under AAFCO guidelines, dog and cat food manufacturers may use 3 D protein sources. 3D means Dead, diseased, or dying.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow...After reading this,I dont think I´ll be able to look at a bag of dogfood on the supermarket shelf without shuddering! My mother in law feeds her German sheppards a really crappy looking kibble that costs her 7€ (about $10) and its a 30lb bag! The bag is just yellow,it has no ingredients written on it,nothing..it just says "dry dog food".God knows what´s in that! o.0
Also,my sister feeds her frenchie Eukanuba and thinks it´s the bees knees just because she gobbles it down.I´m always getting pointed at for spending what I spend on Orijen (what my babies are on now) and for worrying about the quality of what they eat,but by the looks of it,research is very necesary.

I´m horrified!

·
Registered
211 Posts
My cats however are weird finicky eaters. They have a tendency to like the cheaper crap food. :doh:
Ours are too. They won't touch 'healthy' expensive dry foods and tend to favor cheap stuff. We usually compromise with a mid-range brand since they'll throw up the cheap stuff all over the house and the Persian will get diarrhea unless he sticks to certain brands.

Our macaw is also picky about food brands. He refuses any brown/orange-ish colored pellets (macaws have better color vision than humans, BTW). So he gets Zupreem colored pellets supplemented with fresh foods.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
All the vets I've worked for sold Hills Rx Diet (and purina, and eukanuba, and waltham/IVD), but not Science Diet foods. The prescription diets are a necessary evil in some cases. I have two cats on Waltham Rx diet for struvite crystals (which can and have led to urinary obstructions in both cats, pre-Rx food). I chose the Waltham because the first ingredient is meat, but there are biproducts and corn on the list too. Since being on the diet, however, neither cat has had a urinary problem, so it's the tradeoff I make. Cat #3 eats EVO.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If it's not SD at the vet's office, it's Royal Canin, which my vet pushes (there's a whole room of it on display!). Lots of grain in both foods, including corn, wheat, and soy in many varieties. My vet can't understand why I won't feed it. We're at the point to simply agree to disagree...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ours are too. They won't touch 'healthy' expensive dry foods and tend to favor cheap stuff. We usually compromise with a mid-range brand since they'll throw up the cheap stuff all over the house and the Persian will get diarrhea unless he sticks to certain brands.
My cat is the same way. I bought him a case of wellness core and he would "bury" it everytime I put it out. Put out the Nutro Max Cat and he's all about it. -_-

I wouldn't feed it to my dogs SD because the ingredients are crap, but for some reason it works for a lot of dogs that need Rx diets. It even worked for Colby's GI issues, but that was probably because she couldn't digest all the corn gluten meal so it made everything solid. It was fine for the short-term, but luckily we were able to find a better solution for the long term.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
There's a difference between Hills Science Diet and Hills Prescription Diets. And the Prescription diets aren't exactly "medicated" (might as well know what you're railing against if you're going to rail :p). I agree Science Diet isn't great, ingredients wise. I agree that a lot of vets push the food and that's annoying. But sometimes the Prescription diets are necessary.

I don't have the burning hatred of a thousand suns for Science Diet. I save that for Beneful :D.
Ditto! ^ ... ^ ... ^ Prescription diets are definitely necessary in some illnesses. Been there ... done that. I do however have a dislike for Beneful!

·
Registered
87 Posts
My sick puppy is on Hill's I.D. Formula. I absolutely loathe it. It has helped her chronic diarrhea but it's also made her lose a substantial amount of weight which worries me. Thankfully in two days she gets to have Blue Buffalo mixed back into it and then she'll be off it for good!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
While I am not a fan of Science Diet, I will admit that when I was 18 years old and got my first dog, it's all I fed. The internet culture didn't really exist. I had to go to the library if I wanted to use a computer... It was a different world. And that poor science diet fed first dog of mine lived to 14 and might have gone longer except I put her down when the seizures started and she had so much trouble getting around...

While I am not a fan and no longer feed it, it isn't the end of the world.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
While I am not a fan of Science Diet, I will admit that when I was 18 years old and got my first dog, it's all I fed. The internet culture didn't really exist. I had to go to the library if I wanted to use a computer... It was a different world. And that poor science diet fed first dog of mine lived to 14 and might have gone longer except I put her down when the seizures started and she had so much trouble getting around...

While I am not a fan and no longer feed it, it isn't the end of the world.
My childhood dog made it to 18 on a diet of Gravy Train.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
My vets sell Purina, Hills and I think that's it. One used to push me to get Purina for dental care; I push back. The only Rx food I used was Purina HA; I had a dog with protein losing enteropathy caused by lymphangectasia. It was recommended by a Tufts vet nutritionist and was the only food that allowed her to gain 3lbs on her emaciated frame before it stopped working and she was put down. I spend a great deal of time researching dog food and I make the food choices.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts