Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which company is better eukaneuba or Science diet if you had to choose between one or the other for lower phosphorus and protein for a large breed dog.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I would rate them pretty much equal. Get a small bag of each you are considering, and go with the food the dog prefers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
While I understand having to keep within a budgetary price point, (imo) neither of those brands fits the reality of what you're looking for. Low, but quality protein. Low phosphorus. Limited grains. Budget friendly for feeding a large dog. Have you considered working with a certified canine nutritionist & coming up with a home cooked diet geared specifically for your dog's special needs? I'm sure there are more available, but if you google 'the possible canine' you will find links to a highly qualified nutritionist who might be able to help you formulate something appropriate & within budget. Can't hurt to ask, right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am very busy as a first time mom and think I'm going to try him on Science diet 6+ large breed chicken and brown rice. 18.7percent protein, o.68percent phosphorus and 13.7 percent fat. It doesn't have corn or wheat. The other food I found is first mate senior fish but it's only 15 percent protein which I think is to low for my dog that is very active. Any thoughts comments. I'm still looking but haven't found anything else.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Your vet told you to switch to a low protein, low phosphorous diet. You could at least give the vet's advice a try before disregarding it. 18% protein is not low protein. If your dog is in danger of kidney damage I can't help but think it's better for the dog to have a bit less energy than usual than to lose kidney function. Kidney failure would rob him of a lot more life than a low protein diet would. If you can't afford a kidney prescription diet, that's how it is, but then you should be looking for a non-prescription alternative with a very similar profile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going by my vet. He at first said KD diet no or similar levels food. I tried the performatrin large breed senior for leads then two months and he has gained 5ib and no energy always hungry. Called vet told him he said royal canin consult or similar level. I picked up a bag of vibrant life chicken and vegetables. 26 percent protein 0.5phos. 0.6max. This isn't a dog diagnosed with kidney disease. He has a slightly elevated kidney level which will be retested in 4 months what vet told me to do. Mature consult is 25.6 protein and 0.66 phosphorus. So many recalls on all these vet foods and I do not want to break the bank for a bag of corn.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I replied over in this thread, as you have multiple going on the same topic: https://www.dogforums.com/threads/kidney-dog-food.508403/#post-5295974

If the dog is at level 1 as you say in that thread, he DOES already have kidney disease. Mild kidney disease, but kidney disease.

Per the website Mature Consult is 21.0% protein, not 25%, which is still pretty high compared to a kidney speciality diet, and certainly high compared to Hills K/D, which is more like 15%. I suspect your vet either recommended, or meant to recommend, the Royal Canin Mature line (just "Mature," as opposed to "Mature Consult"). I did a search on the site and there are Royal Canin Mature canned foods designed for kidney health.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the mature consult dry he is recommending I'm sorry I opened a new thread I should have posted on same.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's on the bag of any dog food bag if it says min. By law they have to put min. Contents. Max content they don't. You have to call to find out

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
What's on the bag of any dog food bag if it says min. By law they have to put min. Contents. Max content they don't. You have to call to find out
That makes sense.

Yeah, you should be able to find something with a similar profile but a lower cost. But lower cost foods are lower cost because they're either cutting corners, or because they're so mass produced that they are benefitting from economy of scale (or both), and the mass produced thing isn't going to apply to kidney diets, because they're specialized. So you may have to accept that if you're not able/willing to do home cooking and you can't afford a speciality diet, and you're constrained by the kidney requirements, the commercial kibble that fits your restrictions probably isn't going to be the most stellar thing a dog has ever eaten. It is what it is.

It's like the old saying "Choose any two: good, fast, or cheap." When it comes to dog food, choose any two: convenient, affordable, or high quality. And that's even before ruling out 90%+ of options because they don't meet the phosphorus requirement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts