Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this yet? I've been doing some research on different dog food brands.

I've looked into Halo, but now I am a little hesitant to give it to my dogs after I just bought it. I have a 12 yr. old Yorkie, 4 yr. old Shih Tzu, and 4 yr. old Pomeranian. I'm going to try Halo, but not sure if I will make the switch.

The younger ones were on regular Science Diet then had to go to Science Diet Light because they were overfed. Now I'm putting them back on regular SD since their weight seems to be managed now. The older one is on Science Diet Mature Adult.

I asked my vet about changing diets - she said SD is really good. Then I started asking her about SD Nature's Best and other brands. She basically said that switching dog foods can cause more problems and that sticking to one that isn't causing problems is the best thing to do. Before she answered, she asked if my dogs were exhibiting any problems. I told her that my Yorkie's hair on her back seemed to be thinning and she said that it is a diet based issue, but more of an age issue.

She also said that a lot of times, many dog foods contain similar ingredients. What I interpreted from her was that the labels don't state how much of what is in the food and there is a lot of hype in labels (I think she meant when you use terms like natural, organic, etc. - not hype in ingredient labels). Therefore, the ingredients list aren't completely representative of the product itself.

She said to stick with what's working and if there are health issues, that is when to change.

So I just wanted to try Halo and see it's effect and see if there is any improvement in my dogs where I didn't know an improvement was needed.

I know a lot of people are against SD, but when I read reviews on SD, it's usually vomit or diarrhea issues and sometimes major issues. I seem to see more major issues (kidney failure, internal problems, etc.) on these other brands like Halo, Innova EVO, etc. than on SD (has anyone else noticed this?). I think because of this and my past experience, I will stick with SD.

Here's what I found in the ingredients on Petco's website for SD Nature's Best Chicken and Brown Rice formula:

Chicken, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Soybean Meal, Chicken Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Whole Grain Oats, Apples, Cranberries, Soybean Oil, Peas, Carrots, Dried Beet Pulp, Iodized Salt, Flaxseed, Broccoli, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Please give me your thoughts. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Has anyone tried this yet? I've been doing some research on different dog food brands.

I've looked into Halo, but now I am a little hesitant to give it to my dogs after I just bought it. I have a 12 yr. old Yorkie, 4 yr. old Shih Tzu, and 4 yr. old Pomeranian. I'm going to try Halo, but not sure if I will make the switch.

The younger ones were on regular Science Diet then had to go to Science Diet Light because they were overfed. Now I'm putting them back on regular SD since their weight seems to be managed now. The older one is on Science Diet Mature Adult.

I asked my vet about changing diets - she said SD is really good. Then I started asking her about SD Nature's Best and other brands. She basically said that switching dog foods can cause more problems and that sticking to one that isn't causing problems is the best thing to do. Before she answered, she asked if my dogs were exhibiting any problems. I told her that my Yorkie's hair on her back seemed to be thinning and she said that it is a diet based issue, but more of an age issue.

She also said that a lot of times, many dog foods contain similar ingredients. What I interpreted from her was that the labels don't state how much of what is in the food and there is a lot of hype in labels (I think she meant when you use terms like natural, organic, etc. - not hype in ingredient labels). Therefore, the ingredients list aren't completely representative of the product itself.

She said to stick with what's working and if there are health issues, that is when to change.

So I just wanted to try Halo and see it's effect and see if there is any improvement in my dogs where I didn't know an improvement was needed.

I know a lot of people are against SD, but when I read reviews on SD, it's usually vomit or diarrhea issues and sometimes major issues. I seem to see more major issues (kidney failure, internal problems, etc.) on these other brands like Halo, Innova EVO, etc. than on SD (has anyone else noticed this?). I think because of this and my past experience, I will stick with SD.

Here's what I found in the ingredients on Petco's website for SD Nature's Best Chicken and Brown Rice formula:

Chicken, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Soybean Meal, Chicken Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Whole Grain Oats, Apples, Cranberries, Soybean Oil, Peas, Carrots, Dried Beet Pulp, Iodized Salt, Flaxseed, Broccoli, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Please give me your thoughts. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
A few concerns come to my attention with this. Whole grain wheat, beet pulp, broccoli and the soybean meal. Lot's of allergens and fillers right there. And broccoli will cause some significant gas as well. Good luck with what you choose. Halo is great, but the only concern is that most of the protein comes from peas, a vegetarian diet. Dog's, in my opinion, prefer meat protein. Good luck!!

·
Banned
51 Posts
Regardless of what your vet says, SD is among the worst of the worst of dog foods. SD is ALL hype. They have the world's best marketing department. A big reason so many vets recommend it is that SD reps cover the campuses off all the vet schools. All the students hear from the first day of school until graduation is "Science Diet, Science Diet". They are given all kinds of freebies.

In regards to the "Natures Best" line from SD. The words "natures best" are hype in themselves. There is very little in that stuff that is natural for a dog to eat.

4 of the first 5 ingredients are grains. No self respecing dog would dare eat grains in nature. Grains are inappropriate ingredients in dog food. Remember dogs are carnivores. Carnivores eat meat. There is pork fat. Another word we use to describe pork fat is "lard". The food has a lot of lard in it. Then there's more grain and veggies. This is a doggone yucky food. Thumbs down from me.

I bet your vet sells this stuff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regardless of what your vet says, SD is among the worst of the worst of dog foods. SD is ALL hype. They have the world's best marketing department. A big reason so many vets recommend it is that SD reps cover the campuses off all the vet schools. All the students hear from the first day of school until graduation is "Science Diet, Science Diet". They are given all kinds of freebies.

In regards to the "Natures Best" line from SD. The words "natures best" are hype in themselves. There is very little in that stuff that is natural for a dog to eat.

4 of the first 5 ingredients are grains. No self respecing dog would dare eat grains in nature. Grains are inappropriate ingredients in dog food. Remember dogs are carnivores. Carnivores eat meat. There is pork fat. Another word we use to describe pork fat is "lard". The food has a lot of lard in it. Then there's more grain and veggies. This is a doggone yucky food. Thumbs down from me.

I bet your vet sells this stuff.

Actually, my vet used to sell it and stopped, theyre selling a different prescription diet now. Something happened between the two. One time I told her I fed my dogs SD, she said they are very good and then she said something sarcastic about them, having to do with their relationship with SD and concluded with something along the lines of "but that's a whole different story and does not affect the quality of their food.

And thanks for mentioning the pork fat. In my opinion, pork fat is one of the worst meat fats so I guess I'll be on a quest to try different brands.

The only thing is, I feel my Yorkie is at a stage where she shouldn't really be switching diets since it can have a bigger affect on her than the two young ones and I'm afraid any adverse affects will cause a downward spiral on her health. Then again I feel like, what if she's not getting the diet that's appropriate for her and I am actually contributing to problems she may face as she gets older. I'm seeing two negatives and no positives and don't know what to do in regards to her diet.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I was on the Whole Dog Journal's site and SD Nature's Best was rated as one of the worst foods of 2009. I'm not a big fan of SD because of the fillers and the use of meniadone Bisulphite complex (a cheap form of vitamin K which can cause various problems). SD does a good job of marketing and targeting vets but that isn't to say there isn't a place for prescription food.

Having said that, if it has worked for your Yorkie, why fix it? If you are concerned about switching it, then don't. It's true that many dog foods have the same ingredients but it's the quality of the ingredients and the proportion of the ingredients you're looking for. You're looking for high quality proteins. Whole fruits and veggies as opposed to fractions. I think you can still find a food with better quality than SD. How about Wellness? I believe they do quite a bit of research, especially into the Core formula. Both the Core and the regular Wellness lines seem to have a good balance of quality proteins, fruits and veggies as well as moderate levels of fat. They also have a Simple Solutions line which are for dogs with food allergies or sensitivities. The other foods are good too but some are very high in protein and fat.

If SD put as much effort into including more quality ingredients and less cheap fillers as they do in their marketing, it would be a better food. I think that there is a need for foods tailored to animals with different conditions, but I think it behooves these companies to include better ingredients especially with the prices they charge. Same goes for Medi-cal, Purina and Royal Canin's veterinary diets. I havent read or heard anything about kidney problems or other problems with Innova and other brands; although I have been told by various pet store owners that people who bought Orijen for their dogs had to switch as they were having problems; they didn't tell me any specific problems however.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was on the Whole Dog Journal's site and SD Nature's Best was rated as one of the worst foods of 2009. I'm not a big fan of SD because of the fillers and the use of meniadone Bisulphite complex (a cheap form of vitamin K which can cause various problems). SD does a good job of marketing and targeting vets but that isn't to say there isn't a place for prescription food.

Having said that, if it has worked for your Yorkie, why fix it? If you are concerned about switching it, then don't. It's true that many dog foods have the same ingredients but it's the quality of the ingredients and the proportion of the ingredients you're looking for. You're looking for high quality proteins. Whole fruits and veggies as opposed to fractions. I think you can still find a food with better quality than SD. How about Wellness? I believe they do quite a bit of research, especially into the Core formula. Both the Core and the regular Wellness lines seem to have a good balance of quality proteins, fruits and veggies as well as moderate levels of fat. They also have a Simple Solutions line which are for dogs with food allergies or sensitivities. The other foods are good too but some are very high in protein and fat.

If SD put as much effort into including more quality ingredients and less cheap fillers as they do in their marketing, it would be a better food. I think that there is a need for foods tailored to animals with different conditions, but I think it behooves these companies to include better ingredients especially with the prices they charge. Same goes for Medi-cal, Purina and Royal Canin's veterinary diets. I havent read or heard anything about kidney problems or other problems with Innova and other brands; although I have been told by various pet store owners that people who bought Orijen for their dogs had to switch as they were having problems; they didn't tell me any specific problems however.
Thanks. I was just looking into Wellness as well. I also looked at Natural Balance since they are on PETA's cruelty-free list and are also recommended by many who've posted in this forum. I think I may try those. Thanks again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Natural Balance is a good food, especially for the price. All natural ingredients, few fillers. I would recommend this product for anyone who's on a budget and doesn't want to free junk to their dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts