Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was recommended that we start feeding Lincoln Science Diet k/d Kidney Care due to suspected Spikes Disease (Canine Epileptoid Cramping Syndrome). All the research I have done on Sciene Diet is negative. We are meeting with the vet again in another week and I'd like to have some alternatives for her to consider. If you have a dog with Spikes Disease and on a special diet, can you share what you feed your dog?

All the best - Dan

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
It looks like that it is a very low protein, high fat and carbohydrate food; it also looks like the nutrients are low level as well.

I got this from Wikipedia: Some owners have had varying levels of success with dietary changes. In most cases, a gluten-free and/or raw diet is recommended, while some recommend avoiding dairy, eggs, soy, beef, corn, rice, and artificial flavours and colours.[8] Other owners report success with commercial hypoallergenic formula feeds.

I don't know of any food that would fit the bill as low protein and high fat except possibly another prescription formula. Maybe call one of the "better" food companies like Dr Tims or Annamaet and ask if they have anything that may fit the bill.

But I do want to say that any food that can or will help should be considered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts