Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday around 5:15, 3 young (middle-school aged) girls rung my doorbell. When I answered (I'm still questioning why I answered in the first place) they asked if I had a dog. In response, Colby and Ace barked and stuck their heads out the door. The girls ran down the steps and amiably talked to one another. I was like, "ummm... can I help you with something?" They were so engrossed in talking about the dogs they completely ignored me and so I shut the door. For the next 15 minutes or so they continued to ring my bell, until I eventually left (out the back door) of the house to take the dogs on a walk...

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THEM? When I was in middle school there is no way I would have gone up to a strangers' house and asked if they had a dog. Common sense anyone?

I will say that I'm totally fine with people coming up and asking to pet the dogs when I'm out. In fact, I encourage it whenever we're on a walk or playing fetch, but coming up to my door? I don't know these girls and they certainly don't know me.

So I was thinking about my own childhood and I can recall that my parents never had to explicitly tell me not to knock on a strangers door and bug them... we just didn't do that kind of stuff.

How are the kids in your neighborhood?!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
No kids in my neighborhood old enough or close enough to pester me! :) But as an 8 year old child myself I can vividly remember going up to a neighbor man's door and ringing his doorbell. He had a gorgeous friendly GSD that I soooo wanted to take for a walk. The man must have recognized me as a neighborhood kid. He actually let me take "Duke" for a walk!!! :) That GSD was definitely obedience trained!

My Mother didn't know about it till after the fact. :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! That guy is very nice! My dogs are still works in progress, so I'd never let kids take them out. XD I'd never seen these kids before, but they've probably seen us on our walk. I feel like people always know us when we walk around. Le sigh, so famous. haha Regardless, I still think it's a little weird!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Any kid that knocked on our door to meet the dogs would probably regret it. If the dogs didn't scare them away, I sure would.

I did something similar to that ONCE. I was a high school freshman and walking/sitting dogs regularly. But one of my neighbors had this poor dog that stayed in the backyard day in, day out. It was just sad to see that. So I knocked on their door and politely offered to walk their dog and gave them reasons X, Y, and Z that it was free.

P.s.- I think it's time for updated Ace pictures!

·
Registered
101 Posts
At my old house, I caught the next door neighbor kids throwing sticks and toys over their fence at my dog while he was in the backyard.
Where I live now, there are a few young girls, probably between 5 and 9 years old, that always scream and yell, "big doggie! big doggie! run!!" when I am walking down the street. I think it's kind of cute.

When I was a little kid I would always go to the house on the corner and play frisbee with the german shepherd, Jake, whenever he was outside. I never asked the owners first, but they never seemed to mind. It's weird thinking about how big that dog seemed to me when I was 6. Now I can imagine how my 80 pound dog must look to those little girls down the street.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't encourage me, Tofu :) I've got to take some new ones of him... he's getting so big!

It would be different if we were already outside. I just thought it was kinda dumb of them to come up to my door and ask. I don't think I was the only house they went up to, either. Luckily we live in a great neighborhood, but I still wouldn't go up to someone's door and ask to see their dog. Hopefully my future children will be happy enough to play with our dogs and won't go looking for neighborhood dogs to play with! At least now I know I should explicitly tell them not to, haha!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I'm a kid myself and would never do that!(Im 15). I know almost everyone around me. They come over for cookouts ect, They are family friends,basically. Sometimes I get strangers coming up to my door asking me if I am the person with the ferret. I say yes and they ask to see him. To be on the safe side I leash Tank and bring him out with me when they see Koda. Tank is not a mean dog in anyway but he is intimidating to some people and it makes me feel safer. * I do ask to pet someones dog though if I am on a walk and that is about it*.

I live by a bar(its my house another house then the bar) and trust me they are a heck of a lot more annoying then crazy/annoying teenagers. It is fun to watch them stubble and fall and even more funny when your dog barks at them and they fall into the creek,haha. there was just a tad bit of water in it so no worries.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Just an Idea maybe they are planing on having a big tping thing go on and were seeing who has a dog and who doesn't ?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
To answer your question, freakin' insane, totally unsupervised and driving me crazy!

Never mind the running up screaming "DOGGY!!!!" at my dog, never mind the little girl who asked me, in great detail, how much she'd have to hurt my dog to get him to bite her, I lost my first yellow squash to the little hooligans. I found them in my garden, in my back yard (which isn't easy to get to from the front), pulling things up to figure out what they were, trampling plants and generally undoing 3 months of very hard work on my part.

When I told them to leave, one of them looks at me and says, "Why?"

>.<

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm sure every mother says this, but my children are well behaved. They would never mess with anything that wasn't theirs. Not if they ever wanted to see the light of day again. My 11 year old son broke something of mine, I forget now what it was, but I remember I grounded him to his room for 3 days. He said, "That's harsh, Mom." When I ground my kids I give them the opportunity to get out of being grounded, by either working it off (dusting, washing windows, some sort of odd job, made my daughter alphabetize the DVDs once to get out of her sentence) or come up with a really good excuse not to be grounded.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
It wasn't about the dogs, but there is a neighbor kid here (~12??) who thinks because I knew his brother in high school, we are now best friends... Two nights in a row he knocked on my door at midnight or later. I was up that late as usual for me. The first time I screamed bloody murder when I saw him out there because I hadn't looked long enough to recognize him except to know that he wasn't either of my parents, who are the only ones I would expect to do that, and in my dad's case only in an emergency of some kind. The third night I finally told him look, if you keep doing this I am calling the police. He still comes by sometimes and wakes me up (I sleep til noon usually) for ridiculous things, such as asking me if I like Naruto...

But what's worse is once I looked out my kitchen window at the back yard and saw a bunch of kids standing around my dog (who was tethered) with sticks... I have NO idea how my dog is around kids so the fact that kids are constantly running through my yard makes me really nervous. Haven't seen them for a while though but geez, I've even seen this kind of crap in my dad's upscale neighborhood. Once some neighbor kids there managed to get the garage door open and set the house alarm off, alerting the police. What kind of kids play in someone else's garage when they aren't home???

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm sure every mother says this, but my children are well behaved. They would never mess with anything that wasn't theirs. Not if they ever wanted to see the light of day again. My 11 year old son broke something of mine, I forget now what it was, but I remember I grounded him to his room for 3 days. He said, "That's harsh, Mom." When I ground my kids I give them the opportunity to get out of being grounded, by either working it off (dusting, washing windows, some sort of odd job, made my daughter alphabetize the DVDs once to get out of her sentence) or come up with a really good excuse not to be grounded.
At least that's one kid I'll never see in my garden!

Seriously, your neighbors love you for this. Trust me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
We had crappy neighbors but they got forclosed and had to leave. HA HA HA HA HA. Ok not nice, but at least they did take the 16 cats to the shelter and took the dogs with them. The dogs were the big pain for the most part because they'd run loose and were aggressive, and used the park out back as a bathroom (fence was broken). The kids weren't bad most of the time but had a few sleepovers where the teens were walking to and from the house all night, yelling at different groups of friends a block away. Hindsight, should have called the police to complain instead of waiting it out.

I do get kids constantly asking to walk the dogs and I say no. Ticket will not respect a kid and will likely assume he's to protect them from other dogs, or if they drop the leash he's going to go on his own and come home when he feels like it. Storee is cat crazy with loose cats and politely will take the end of the leash away from anyone but me usually (lucky me) and bring herself home (should video that). Kilt is still in puppy mode, doesn't have the greatest leash manners at times and likely would go find herself a party if given a chance. The kids who ask are usually 7-9 year olds, not teens who I'd consider for the job. Maybe.

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
The kids in my neighborhood are surprisingly well behaved considering how little supervision any of them seem to have. If I am outside on the porch in the evenings, which in good weather I almost always am, there's a few kids that want to pet the dogs (Chester and current foster Hershey... previous foster Luna was a bit of a nutter so she scared them away or I'd only let them pet Chester and kept her on the porch). They all are polite to the dogs and pet them nicely and generally only stay for a minute or two and then go back to their games or bike riding of whatever.
So long as I am already outside, I don't mind at all. If one of them rang the bell or knocked, I'd answer and tell them I was really busy but they could come say hi next time they saw me and the dogs outside. If they kept ringing the bell, I'd go speak with their parents.

A while back, two neighbor boys (young teens) were throwing stuff into the street and sometimes across it into my yard like old fruit and water balloons. I yelled at them, told them to come over and pick all of it up. They did and apologized by saying "we weren't aiming at your house, we were trying to hit the cars" :) hmm, that makes it so much better. I asked them how they'd feel if one of the dogs got sick or hurt and they got all guilty feeling and I added that a car could wreck if they hit the windshield to increase the guilt trip. Then I told them to think about what would happen if one of the drivers got out of the car and was angry at them and that was enough to make them worry.
Didn't have any more problems.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A while back, two neighbor boys (young teens) were throwing stuff into the street and sometimes across it into my yard like old fruit and water balloons. I yelled at them, told them to come over and pick all of it up. They did and apologized by saying "we weren't aiming at your house, we were trying to hit the cars" :) hmm, that makes it so much better.
We had some kids doing that a while back but with ROCKS. My FI drove by with his collector-quality mustang, slowed down, rolled the window down and dared them, "Go ahead and throw a rock at my car." The kids froze in place and dropped the rocks. I haven't seen them throwing rocks since! Absolutely hilarious.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I used to have kids that bugged me a lot. They would stand outside of my door and make weird noises/scream late at night, bang on my door and throw things like water balloons and eggs at my house. I guess it was because I was the weird old lady (in my 30s at the time) who didn't go out much. Since I found a social life, got a dog and a boyfriend who stays over sometimes, they've stopped.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Several years ago we got new neighbors...
They have 10, maybe 11 kids..Im not sure it could actually be 12 ..
They are Home Schooled ,So they are always home 24/7.

Eveyryone was Very concerned about this family when they "invaded" our quiet suburban neighborhood.
Turns out..
These kids are probably the most well behaved children Ive ever seen...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Never mind the running up screaming "DOGGY!!!!" at my dog, never mind the little girl who asked me, in great detail, how much she'd have to hurt my dog to get him to bite her, I lost my first yellow squash to the little hooligans. I found them in my garden, in my back yard (which isn't easy to get to from the front), pulling things up to figure out what they were, trampling plants and generally undoing 3 months of very hard work on my part.

When I told them to leave, one of them looks at me and says, "Why?"

I would have told these kids that they were tresspassing and that I would be calling 911 to report them if they didn't leave immediately - and I would have, too!

Today's kids are why I retired at the end of this year's school term after 34 years...Most are raising themselves. Parents are both working and don't have/take the time to teach them proper manners. I worked when I had my kids, but they know all H*!! would break loose if they crossed that line.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts