Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He doesn't have his 2nd vacine till 3 week so I have been taking him in back garden yesterday I thought I would see what he is like on the lead but he refused to move and just wanted it off would a harness be more suitable?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my dog around 8 weeks old, for several more weeks it refused to walk and when it did walk wasn't very far. I started to think i'd got stuck with a lemon. Several weeks later and the dog wants to walk 24/7. As for waiting for a dog to be fully vaccinated before taking out into the world, i can't comment on that, the last dog i owned was in the late 80s and things have changed a lot since then.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
A Shih Tzu? Or a Schnauzer x Shih Tzu cross?

If he's never been on a leash before, he doesn't know what it is. Get a really lightweight leash (make one from a small snap and a shoelace, if you need to), clip it to his collar, and let him get used to it in the house. Just let him drag it around, making sure that he doesn't get tangled up in anything. Once he's comfortable with that, you can start picking up the leash and following him around, and encouraging him to follow you.

Reactions: Kensi and K9luv

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree. The heavy weight is unfamiliar- and probably scary- for him. You will need to work up to the leash slowly. As the other post says, get a thinner, lightweight one that doesn't have a heavy clasp, and let him wear it around the house. You may also want to try putting a piece of yarn hanging from his collar to get him used to having something there first.

A harness may be preferable, (my dog prefers it, even as an adult) but harnesses, like any other equipment, should be introduced slowly, with lots of praise. (let him smell before touching him with it, touch him with it before draping it over him lightly, do that before resting its full weigh on his back, do that before buckling it...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts