Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my little JRT puppy two days ago. I've had dogs but never a puppy, so I've dealt with the struggle of going from free feeding to scheduled feedings (with chihuahuas no less). My problem is that I know it takes a while for a dog to settle in, so I haven't started scheduled feedings yet, but mostly because with food down he only seems to want to eat if he's starving. Yesterday he ate about 5 pieces of food until 7pm when he ate a normal amount then went to bed for the rest of the night. This morning he ate again another 5-10 pieces before crying to lay in the chair with me. We're feeding him Pedigree small dog food right now (his previous owner was feeding him similar garbage dog food) and plan on switching him to Taste of the Wild puppy food soon. Is his feeding only twice a day normal? Is he just adjusting? I read that puppies need to eat 4 times a day but he's nowhere close.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I have never free fed any dog. I always feed meals. Typically my schedule is the same every day so my dogs eat at the same time, but I keep them flexible and meals don't always come at exactly the same time.

It's super normal for puppies to eat hardly anything at first. Mine wasn't really interested in her food until 10-11 weeks. I would just put down food 3 times a day, give him 15 min to eat, and if he doesn't want it then pick it up and save it for the next meal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's 16 weeks old. I was just worried about withholding food since he's a puppy and needs so much food for growing. He seems way more interested in napping though lol
I'll wait until we buy the better food, I know it smells way more enticing and he'll be more interested, more likely to eat what's sat down in front of him. Thanks :)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
If you leave food down for 15-20 min, 3 or 4 times a day, you won't be depriving him of food. If he's hungry he'll eat. Right now he's still settling in.

If you free feed, it will might encourage him to be a slow picky eater

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't plan on free feeding forever, just until the end of the week when we get the good stuff. He just needs time I think to get used to everything. He was in such a busy house with pit bulls and kids before so he's scared I think, and learning how to relax now in a pet free kid free home

1 - 5 of 5 Posts