Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody have any tips on how I can get my dog out of the habit of marking his scent in the house? He never poops or does big pees in the house it’s purely just marking, will neutering help stop this habit?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Neutering might help it, but it's not for sure, especially after he's in the habit. I know people who use a belly band on males they haven't been able to cure of this.

·
Super Moderator
11,805 Posts
Neutering most likely won't prevent marking. I have had a few neutered males who would not mark at home, but were likely to mark if they were some place where other dogs had previously marked.

The most important single thing you can do is thoroughly clean any marked areas with a good enzyme cleaner

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Neutering won't help. The only way to fix this is to be constantly vigilant and interrupt the dog and get him out. You can try a belly band.. (male dog diaper) but it may not help. Dog knows when it is off.

Cleaning any spots thoroughly is important.

I know of a few dogs that do this. They are not allowed free rein in the house ever. They are crated of kenneled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, we have been using an enzyme cleaner and constantly keeping an eye on him but he’s definitely in the habit of it now, I will consider a belly band for him for when we can’t watch him and hopefully it can at least control the problem. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts