Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cameron ate a chunk of rat poison this morning.

We have a hot tub on our back deck. In a few places around the bottom of the tub we put chunks of rat bait. Last year a squirrel got into the insulation of the hot tub and did almost $1000 of damage. So we sealed up any entry routes and put down the bait for the places we couldn't find.

I went out to the back deck this morning to check the tub and Cameron squeezed out behind me. Dogs aren't allowed there, so I shooed him back in. But I was a little distracted and didn't see him grab the bait. The only way I knew he ate it was that I saw him licking the carpet when I came back in. As I took a closer look I saw green crumbs of poison.

I grabbed open his mouth to get it out, but he had swallowed it.

Goddanged-shark-in-fur dog will eat anything.

So at 8am off to the vet we went. We got there within 20 minutes of him eating the stuff, so they were able to give him some peroxide to make him puke. And puke he did... repeatedly... large chunks of green rat poison. The vet tech brought us out a glob so we could see it. This is the only time I've been happy that Cameron inhales his food and doesn't chew.

He was there for a few hours. He was doing fine so they sent him home. He's going to be on vitamin K for 2 weeks, but we expect him to be OK. He's acting just fine. I'M the one that's still a mess. Dang dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts
DANG!! That's sooo scary! You did GREAT!! So did the vet!! And I'm so glad that shark-in-fur dog Cameron is going to be OK, he's a very, very lucky boy thanks to your fast acting!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,622 Posts
Holy crap! :eek:

I'm glad everything turned out ok and he's doing fine. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,761 Posts
Wow what a scare...I'm glad that you were able to react quickly and that he's going to be okay!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top