Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so we have gotten Charlie to not be scared of her collar. She now wears it all the time and even realized scratches under it feel good so we can touch it any time. I am still not using it to move her anywhere though (tugging on it) in case she regresses.

That being said, she is still fearful of when her leash is attached and taken off. She will play with the leash but when I get my shoes on and head to her or call her with the leash, she runs! She loves walks so I have tried saying "go for walk" several times while trying to put it on and as we walk out the door but that isn't working. I have tried treats (she is very food oriented) but she won't come near when I have it in my hand. The only way to get it on her is somehow catch her, pick her up and put it on.

Once on, she is fine, runs around the house with it, tries to pounce and chew the handle.

When it's time to take it off, she backs up and so I am chasing her to unclip it. Yesterday I was so tired I let her just run through the house with it on and when she was calm and almost napping, I gently unclipped it.

I suppose the taking off isn't so bad but the getting it on is a problem. Any suggestions on getting this to be a happy positive thing for her?

Also, we have never done anything to show the leash as negative. Granted, picking her up and putting it on isn't the best approach but I need to get her to the vet and on walks to socialize. And since she is 28lb at 14 weeks, I REALLY don't want to try and pick her up for the rest of her life to get it on!

Thanks for any suggestions everyone!

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
It sounds like maybe she's more fearful of your hands reaching for/grabbing her than the actual leash itself.

If she won't let you put it on, I would start with just having the leash around and feeding treats, and graduate to you touching it- treat- put it back down. Then gradually work up to clipping and unclipping it and feeding treats.

Remember to go at her pace, and if she seems at all uncomfortable then just go back a step.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Have you tried to attach it under her chin vs over her head? I've read that over the head is not a good thing for some dogs. I will say that both of my dogs do (did) accept petting from me on their head but always flinched and I never hit them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried it under, over and even to the side of the neck! She is scared any time the clip comes near.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
can teach the touch it game... When I got my second Clydesdale the sight of any equipment would send him into a panic for him to run... so I used the touch it game.. using other objects that didn't bother him and objects that intrest him.. then I put the equipment on the railing and left it in the barn like that.. of course he went over and smelled it and knocked it down every day for over a week.. then I play the touch it game with him with it on the railing... and that opened a door...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts