Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my puppy about a week ago, and things are going great. Potty training is coming along fine, I've been teaching him basic manners and he walks good on a leash for a puppy his age. Every time he pulls we stop until he sits and the leash is loose. My problem is, when I take him out of the house he never wants to leave. He freezes and whines. I've been calling him, and crouching down to his level, but today and half of yesterday is hasn't been working, and I've had to tug him a little. I hated doing it. Is this something he'll grow out of? once he's out of eye site of the house he's fine.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yes he'll grow out of it, give it a few weeks. Both of my girls were the same when they were very small. Now they just can't WAIT to get out there and go for a walk.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
How old is he? At about three months or so pups can to thru a fear stage where everything is scary. Jo's lasted for a month or two where she was suddenly afraid of the utility vehicle & other things... Even me sometimes lmbo.

Does he have a fave toy? Try bringing that & when he gets a little scared entice him outside with the toy, once he is outside play with him for a bit as a reward, then start your walks. Everything you are doing sounds good, that's all the suggestion I have though, im sure someone wih more experience will chime in soon.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My Brady is weird like that. He doesn't like to leave our "yard" (the area right outside our apartment). I have to half-drag him on the walk away from it and then keep him from pulling on the walk back to it... he actually shakes off when he gets back to the yard.

I'm hoping he grows out of it :\ I try to make it as pleasant as possible for him...lots of treats and praise

1 - 6 of 6 Posts