Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how you all handle the situations that your puppy is afraid of. Duke is 8 months old in a few days. He is petrified of our cat, for good reason. She has hissed at him numerous times and has chased him away from her due to her own fear. He has only always wanted to be her friend.
He will not walk past the cat without one of us and even then we sometimes have to pull him along. This morning he laid on the steps for an hour because the cat was at the top of the steps and he was petrified to pass her.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I force him by her? I've moved the cat out of his path on numerous occasions and that works, but obviously that's not the answer either. Any Suggestions?

He is a slightly fearful dog by nature. He is afraid to do most things for the first time, but I think that is normal "dog behavior"

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Puppies go through normal stages of development that includes a few fear cycles. Don't force him through it, let him see that it is safe on his own schedule... However, you are allowed to pick the cat up and move her. It won't hurt her and he will learn that she's not going to eat him .... I assume :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts