Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so l always had a metal bowl that my dog eats out of. Recently l changed his bowl to a better design that is more ergonomically right for eating so that it is elevated. Now he is scared of the bowl and wont eat.

i tried removing it from the stand and it doesnt help either. he would only sip on the water 1x a day and thats about it. tried throwing treats in there with no success.

Help if you can give some advice, thanks

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I would try the smelliest, biggest, " cannot resist " treat in there that I could muster up! If that does not work ... I am lost as what to do also. :)

Just wondering ... is it a new bowl completely? Does the old bowl fit in the new holder?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a different bowl style and doesnt fit in the holder. but l mean they are both metal.. same size just the shape is different... old is like M shaped, new is U shape

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
it is a different bowl style and doesnt fit in the holder. but l mean they are both metal.. same size just the shape is different... old is like M shaped, new is U shape
I was hoping it would fit. :/ I cannot figure out what else to try other than the stinkiest high value treat you could put in it. My one dog used to be afraid of where the bowl was placed ... as he could see his reflection in the stove or dishwasher ... would not eat there ... it spooked him!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i had a similar prob with my Izze. when she was a pup, i had a metal bowl that was her water bowl. she banged her rabies tags on them when she was a pup & that was it for her as far as metal bowls were concerned LOL. nothing i could do would convence her otherwise, i wish you more luck LOL

·
Registered
705 Posts
I was under the impression that raised food bowls have been found to cause a small increase in the incidence of bloat. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Put a little bit of water in there with something else yummy. Pieces of chicken, hot dog, etc. Smear the inside with a little peanut butter and let him eat it. You basically want him to realize that this bowl is awesome and gives him lots of treats. If he's not drinking water though I would give him water in another dish to prevent him from dehydrating himself. At least until he realizes the new bowl won't hurt him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
keljai, is your dog getting enough walking with you? Most dogs run to the water bowl after a long walk. Does he not want to drink even after a long walk?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My minipoo, Potsie, doesn't care for metal bowls either. His tags banged against one I have and then he wouldn't go near it. I had to switch to a plastic bowl, even though it's not as sanitary. I just have to wash it more often. He didn't like the shiny surface of one of them either. I guess he could see himself and freaked out. It doesn't take much to set this little one off...He's a rescue with an abused background.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts