Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
charlie is a pretty nervous dog to begin with but he has been going to the groomer for a while now and it didn't seem to be a big deal. But lately he seems to get more and more nervous when we drop him off. He's fine when we walk in, but when the groomer comes out to get him he shakes and drops to the floor or tries to get away from her.

Is this a sign that I should find a new groomer? I know that sometimes dogs have to do things that they don't like but I hate to see him like this. :( Do you groomers sometimes find there are dogs that are just nervous and there's nothing you can do to make it better?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yes, sometimes some dogs are just nervous Nellie's, and there is nothing that can be done, except work with them, and try to make the experience as pleasurable and fast as we can. A few things to add that can help you and your dog. When you take him to drop him off, do it matter of factly. No loving on him, no "I'm sorry's", no feeling bad. Just hand him to the groomer, and say see ya in a bit. Then walk out. Chances are, as soon as you are gone, he stops shaking and is just fine. He may not "love" the grooming, but he is fine. Of the dogs that come in like you describe your pup, 100% of them stop shaking and are perfect angels once mom and dad are gone. If you are matter of fact about your behavior when you take him, you may see it disappear altogether. Dogs feed off our emotions. However, if you are uncomfortable in any way leaving your dog with this groomer, then you need to find another. If you are confidant and happy with the groomer, stay put and don't stress him by changing groomers.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much Graco!! We try to be as matter-of-fact as possible so we'll continue that. DH has dropped him of the last few times and he may be exaggerating how bad he is acting too, or babying him without admitting it to me!

I'm happy with this groomer, it took us about 2 or 3 tries to find someone we were happy with, so we'll probably stick with her. It's good to know that most of the time they calm down. She says he does fine but you always wonder when it's your own baby.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Graco covered it pretty well.

One advantage I have in the shops I've been working at is that when the owner comes in, I just tell them, "hey there, why don't you just let fido in the gate, here, and he can mosey around while I have you check in?" Alot of the dogs are only too happy to come in and investigate their new digs...For those that aren't, I let the owner lead them in, drop the leash, and step back out the door. Everything is done as nonchalantly as possible, so the dog doesn't have to feel threatened, or overly nervous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts