Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm a first time pup owner, so forgive me if these questions seem obvious!

I adopted my pup 2.5 weeks ago- he is 8months old and a shih tzu/yorkie/poodle mix. Adorable of course! When I first got him, he was TERRIFIED. He hid everywhere and would shake (poor guy!) I continued to praise him and keep him with me at all times so he could get comfortable. Although now he does not shake or hide, he doesn't seem to do anything. He lays on the couch all day long, and if I go to the bedroom he will wait about 5 minutes, and then SPRINT to the bed, as if he is terrified to touch the ground! I try to put him on the ground and praise him, give him a little treat to show him this is good, but he just hops back on the couch and lays. The vet said he is in great health, and I stay home all day so he should be used to me by now, right?
I'm just a little concerned. How can I train him if he won't even walk around? He will not even get up to go eat his food / drink water. Please help!! I want a happy pup, not a scared one.

ALSO, he refuses to walk on a leash outside. He has been wearing it at all times, but when I take him outside he just sits there. Will NOT move. I don't want to drag him?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
First of all, give him time. Time is the biggest remedy for these things and with time you will find these issues dissipate.
I'm not an expert but you have to be really careful not to praise for fearful or anxious behavior as it only reinforces in their mind that its o.k to be scared. What I would do is go about my business, but put something really appealing on the floor and kinda spy on him. When he hops down on his own, treat. You could even sit on the floor or the ground and just hang out, that way if he wants to be near you he has to be on the floor. Mostly don't coddle or fuss over him to much, you really just need to act confident and normal and then the dog will think "hey, everything must be ok if its ok with them" rather then "omygosh that was scary im glad daddy/mommy is protecting me"
Hopefully someone here with more behavior experience then me will pop in on this post as I dont know a hole lot about behavior so one of them will be able to help you more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am definitely hoping he just needs more time - but since he is older I am just getting worried. I don't praise him or coddle him when he is hiding/ after he runs scared. I'm just worried that if he is skittish like this he won't grow out of it- and then I won't able to train him. I can't train him to walk on a leash if he won't walk at all!

thank you for your reply!! I appreciate any help- I'm a newbie and very worried.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am definitely hoping he just needs more time - but since he is older I am just getting worried. I don't praise him or coddle him when he is hiding/ after he runs scared. I'm just worried that if he is skittish like this he won't grow out of it- and then I won't able to train him. I can't train him to walk on a leash if he won't walk at all!

thank you for your reply!! I appreciate any help- I'm a newbie and very worried.
When we got my heeler/terrier mix he was apprehensive and wanted to be alone most of the time. If we were sitting on the couch with dog #1 he would sit on an empty couch and if you tried to sit next to him he would get up and find an empty place to lay. We never forced ourselves on him and just waited for him to wandr over to us. When he did we would praise and give treats. I dont think he ever had humans who wanted him around and was just used to making himself dissapear. He didnt know how to play either and never chased a ball and if you threw one outside would sit and stare at you. At night he would wait until we were all settled in bed and then jump on and stay at the very end. Its been like a year and a half now and he will play tug of war with his brothers and us, chases bumpers at the park and swiming and takes over the bed while were still getting ready to get in. It took alot of time and I dont think you should worry about him being 8moths because he is still young. I am not a trainer and dont have educated advice I would just say be paitent, it is a proccess and dont get discouraged!!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Hi there, I'm a first time pup owner, so forgive me if these questions seem obvious!

I adopted my pup 2.5 weeks ago- he is 8months old and a shih tzu/yorkie/poodle mix. Adorable of course! When I first got him, he was TERRIFIED. He hid everywhere and would shake (poor guy!) I continued to praise him and keep him with me at all times so he could get comfortable. Although now he does not shake or hide, he doesn't seem to do anything. He lays on the couch all day long, and if I go to the bedroom he will wait about 5 minutes, and then SPRINT to the bed, as if he is terrified to touch the ground! I try to put him on the ground and praise him, give him a little treat to show him this is good, but he just hops back on the couch and lays. The vet said he is in great health, and I stay home all day so he should be used to me by now, right?
I'm just a little concerned. How can I train him if he won't even walk around? He will not even get up to go eat his food / drink water. Please help!! I want a happy pup, not a scared one.

ALSO, he refuses to walk on a leash outside. He has been wearing it at all times, but when I take him outside he just sits there. Will NOT move. I don't want to drag him?
Like has been mentioned ... it just takes time ... sometimes months. Being they sense our emotions if we show that we are confident ... they know. My rescue from about ten years ago .... one who had been starved and abused and found along side of a deceased horse took a year to trust any human besides myself.

It is probably IMHO too soon to push any large amount of training issues on him. Don't drag him on a leash ... but try to lure him with a yummy treat. You can always start out with a lesser value treat and work your way up to the higher value ones. This is usually how I approach issues. Just stand or kneel in front of him on his leash and call his name ... when he moves and comes forward on his leash ... even if it is one inch ... praise, and praise and reward! See if this helps. He is just needing to build some confidence and he is still so new and scared. Poor little guy. :(

I too stay home all day ... as I am retired ... and have much time to devote to my training. Lol! :) I try and be as creative as I possibly can.

My biggest rule to myself is that whenever I call one of my dogs ... there is always a positive reason ... never ever call a dog for a negative reason.

Your boy is absolutely adorable! I sure hope to see more photos of him! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for all the help :) I will definitely try all these ideas, and continue to be patient ! However, the other problem is that Teddy does not seem to like treats.. I have to convince him to eat them. I've tried a few different kinds, he doesn't seem interested. weird right?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Thank you so much for all the help :) I will definitely try all these ideas, and continue to be patient ! However, the other problem is that Teddy does not seem to like treats.. I have to convince him to eat them. I've tried a few different kinds, he doesn't seem interested. weird right?
Try better treats...tiny pieces of cut up hot dog, pieces of cheese, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts