Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My French bulldog Penny (almost 1 yr old) has developed bumps around her face and neck. I thought they were just normal bumps, but they're more like scabs buried under her fur. When I poked at one (Penny didn't seem to mind), it came off taking some fur with it! And the fur has not grown back.

I'm trying to avoid another immediate visit to the vet. I've been 2x last month for other issues (3 a.m. fever and a false alarm on an ear infection). I'm hoping to see if I can figure out if she has a common allergy.

I'm planning to:
* Slowly switch over from Wellness to "Wellness Core" (grain free) to see if she's allergic to grain
* Try metal food and water bowls to see if she's allergic to plastic
* Clean her face daily and seek out an oatmeal dog shampoo

Any suggestions or anything you'd add? I'm open to feedback.

If things don't clear up after a few days, I will return to the vet.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Since you are aware she will probably need to see a vet and it's not an emergency (I'm trusting you here, Matt, don't let me down), I'll suggest a few things:

I agree with going grain free. You also, however, want to cut out common meat allergens, particularly chicken. I think Wellness Core has a fish blend, you probably want to start there. If fish isn't an option, I'd go with Acana pork, lamb or duck. All grain free, all limited ingredient, all chicken free.

Make sure everything she eats is grain free and the same protein as her food. This includes snacks, treats, etc. If her food is fish, but her snacks are lamb, you're going to have a hell of a time figuring out which one she's reacting to.

Definitely ditch plastic. That's a common issue with dogs.

Don't wash her too often, that's very irritating to the skin. I'd suggest buying alcohol and fragrance free baby wipes and wiping her down after she goes outside.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Aside from what you stated and the good advice you got, probably your only other option is to have a skin scraping done. It "might" be mites but I would try what has been suggested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts