Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own the worlds smartest dog, therefore this article "must" be false.

Actually my parents owned a border collie, they are very intelligent indeed.
I work on a golf course & we have a border collie named Nellie-who, does not chase the geese, she chases the golf carts tires! Although at the last course I worked at we had Annie & she was excellent at chasing the geese. I would bring my australian shep/blue heeler, Jack, out to the course, & actually he was better than Annie. From what I understand Australian Shepherds are also very intelligent-I'm not trying to be bias either.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
This is very interesting! And I feel very proud that my aussie is up there in the top 10! Course, I knew he would be ;)
Hmmm ... I have to wonder where my boston/minpin mix ranks! I bet he'd fall in the top 20!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
LOL Well I agree with most of the list. I think that the breeds listed are definitely among the smartest breeds. I think Rottweiler's are incredibly smart. (most of them) I also think that owning a smart dog can often times backfire on owners. People that want a dog that just sits around and looks cute, mean or goofy do not want to get a smart breed of dog. They are generally thinking of things to do, and you might not like what they chose. :)
Border Collies are amazing dogs. I am often in awe of them. They just are not the breed for me. At least not to date.

Edit: Just a note: I have seen another list running around out there and Afghan hounds were the dumbest breed. LOL I thought that was sort of funny. They might be beautiful but not known for their extreme intelligence. A friend of mine who owns and shows them would definitely agree too. :)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I would like to point out that every dog I've ever owned has been in the top 10 breeds. That makes me feel special, LOL!

The description of the papillons is dead on.

This deceptively cute, butterfly-eared dog is smarter, tougher, and stronger than it appears (it’s like the bionic dog). Often described as big dogs in little bodies, they have the athletic stamina to keep up on long walks, and the bravura of a canine ten times its size. The Papillon is a true companion and watchdog. Although they can be ferociously protective over what belongs to them, their keen intelligence makes it possible to take them anywhere. Let’s not forget they can be litter trained, a big plus.
Though based on my experiences with my dogs, I'd rank papillons as tied with shepherds. My shelties or my lab were not nearly as intuitive and smart as the papillons (or my old GSD) have been. Maybe it's the bloodlines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
LOL Well I agree with most of the list. I think that the breeds listed are definitely among the smartest breeds. I think Rottweiler's are incredibly smart. (most of them) I also think that owning a smart dog can often times backfire on owners. People that want a dog that just sits around and looks cute, mean or goofy do not want to get a smart breed of dog. They are generally thinking of things to do, and you might not like what they chose. :)
Border Collies are amazing dogs. I am often in awe of them. They just are not the breed for me. At least not to date.

Edit: Just a note: I have seen another list running around out there and Afghan hounds were the dumbest breed. LOL I thought that was sort of funny. They might be beautiful but not known for their extreme intelligence. A friend of mine who owns and shows them would definitely agree too. :)
Inga is beautiful! I use to own a Rott/Chow mix named Katy, aka Big Red. She was extremely gorgeous(sp?)!!! Little stubborn, tempermental around white dogs, & very independent. She weighed about 80 lbs. I'll have to try & find a good picture of her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts