Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends of ours have had several bully breed dogs. Two pitbulls and a OEB I think. One of the pits was PTS because it was fighting with the bulldog, and I think the bulldog was put down for growling at the baby in addition to a lot of health issues. So they were down to one.

They are very much a 'avoid the problem' type family for sure. Anytime I've been there the last pitbull has been locked in the bedroom the whole time. I saw him a few times but never touched him, he sat beside dad most of the time growling and avoiding looking at me. Suggested going for walks etc. with him but the wife wasn't comfortable walking him and the husband was always too busy.

They'd mention here and there that their 3 year old would pull his ears and pester him and they'd expect the dog to leave the situation each time or 'bark at her' to tell her to quit, depending. As in they were not going to go get the kid and disipline her.

So you know what happens next, kid, now four, gets bitten in the face by a pitbull, has to go to the ER to get treated. I didn't hear first hand but had assumed they'll put the dog down, who knows, but since it was bad enough to go to the ER it's only a matter of time before animal control steps in... poor dog.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Another perfect example of a completely avoidable, owner induced tragedy, that will only make the papers as "pit bull dog mauls infant" smh.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Sloth is correct, some people shouldn't own dogs. Or procreate, for that matter.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok friend might be a strong word, sorry! We don't hang out with them much anymore, their kiddo is the same age as my DD, but they don't play much these days. She'll be in the same class for school unless they move but that's about it, just hard to avoid people in a small town.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's pitiful. While I feel bad for the child, it obviously was coming. And very, very easily preventable. Even if the dog isn't a perfect angel, simply based on the story we're given here, I'd put money on the fact that the child did something to agitate the dog and bring it on. So easily preventable by having taught the child to respect the animal. I was pleasantly surprised this weekend to have 2 different cases of a parent telling their kid that they should be asking before petting a dog. Of course, it was petsmart and the dog park lol But was nice to see that there are people out there with some sense. This story of yours is not one of those cases. One dog, I'll give it to you that perhaps at least some of the issue is the dog. But these people that have multiple "problem dogs" over the years? Yeah...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
OP, did anyone actually tell this family that what they were doing was wrong? Sounds like they were inexperienced and (as the op said) just trying to avoid a problem...and instead unfortunatley created one. What a world we would live in if no one made mistakes...
Good luck trying to tell anybody anything. I was walking Kabota and this woman and her 8 year old daughter were walking towards us. Before I could react, the daughter sprints up, drops to her knees in front of Kabota, squeezes him tight and starts kissing his muzzle! This is a dog she's never seen before. Fortunately, Kabota didn't do a thing, he didn't even try to move his muzzle to avoid her kisses. I told the woman to get her daughter off my dog before I did, and she says, "Oh, she loves dogs!" and I said, "She's going to get her face bitten off if she does this to the wrong dog." and the woman just laughs. Yeah, because your daughter being mauled and possibly killed is hilarious.

There's a reason I prefer dogs to people.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
This is a terrible story. I feel sorry for the child ... but IMO it's the parents fault ... and IMO there are too many dogs being PTS by these people! They shouldn't even own a dog ... IMO

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Good luck trying to tell anybody anything. I was walking Kabota and this woman and her 8 year old daughter were walking towards us. Before I could react, the daughter sprints up, drops to her knees in front of Kabota, squeezes him tight and starts kissing his muzzle! This is a dog she's never seen before. Fortunately, Kabota didn't do a thing, he didn't even try to move his muzzle to avoid her kisses. I told the woman to get her daughter off my dog before I did, and she says, "Oh, she loves dogs!" and I said, "She's going to get her face bitten off if she does this to the wrong dog." and the woman just laughs. Yeah, because your daughter being mauled and possibly killed is hilarious.

There's a reason I prefer dogs to people.
This makes my stomach churn. I have a dog who would not react kindly at all to this kind of situation, and for that reason I am very careful about who he interacts with (always on his terms). I have too many stories about grown adults and children coming up to Ozzie and thinking just because 'they are good with dogs' that they can reach for him. Fortunately, no one has been stupid enough to try getting down and restraining him.

Thank goodness Kabota is such a tolerant boy. I will have little sympathy for the mother when the day comes that she has to watch her daughter be stitched up and scarred for life, or worse.

·
Registered
259 Posts
All of the above about people not listening to advice is why I didn't even bother to ask if anyone had tried to "educate" them. It sounds like they obviously have a little bit of a running history of negative behaviors with dogs and a lack of effort on their part, and probably don't care enough if they haven't already tried to seek out help on their own. It's too easy with the internet these days (it's exactly why I'm on here...).

And I absolutely love the "(she) loves dogs!" thing. Yeah, well, sorry genius, but that doesn't mean every dog loves every person just as much. But heaven forbid, the day a dog reacts poorly to that child, the woman will scream and it will be a legal case.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I've been pleasantly surprised by the parents and kids in my area we've run into 95% of the time. The vast majority of the kids who want to say hi to Jubel stop a few feet away and ask if they can pet/say hi to my dog, most of the rest who come running up have a parent calling out for them to stop and ask so the parent IS trying to teach the child. The 5% of 'bad' experiences have only been kids who are scared of dogs (or simply dogs as large as Jubel who is just under 50#) and scream/run/spaz out on seeing him, parents who think Jubel is a pit bull (and therefore dangerous), and 8-12 year olds who say rude things without realizing it.

Example of the rude 8-12 year olds from last weekend. Sunday afternoon there was a birthday party going on at the park we walk in near my house. Me and another regular at the park who has a giant schnauzer had just finished our walk on the trails and came out into the field below the parking lot, the picnic pavilion is on the other side of the parking lot and the site of the party. Another regular with a westie and another terrier I can never remember the breed of, similar to a westie but longer body, arrived as we left the woods and we all gathered to chat. While we're standing there two girls about 9-10 years old I'd guess come up and ask if we are there for the party, we say no, they come over to see the dogs. All the dogs are calm and relaxing and one of the girls keeps calling Jubel and Rocky (the giant schnauzer) mean dogs and saying how nice Woodie and Claira are. They are still about 5 feet away and none of the dogs have done much more than look in their direction. Eventually they get close enough and bend down to pet Woodie and Claira and Jubel walks over hoping to get some petting too. The girl who was calling him mean literally jumps and runs about 10 feet away, Jubel turns around and comes and sits next to me. I try to explain to her that she should NEVER do that around a dog they might chase her even if they hadn't intended to do anything before. She isn't listening to a word I say and says he's so mean and he's showing his teeth at her. It was in the 80s that day, he was hot and a little tired from our walk and panting lightly....showing his teeth... Shortly after that one of the adults from the party found them (we were probably blocked from sight behind cars) and reprimanded them for wandering off without telling anyone. The girl continues to tell the adult how nice the little dogs are and how mean the big dogs are. In all actuality I'd rank the four dogs on child friendliness Claira, Jubel, Woodie, Rocky but she was convinced Jubel was going to hurt her somehow. I was just annoyed for her to repeatedly call him mean for no reason, even her imagined reason (showing his teeth at her) was silly.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
This makes my stomach churn. I have a dog who would not react kindly at all to this kind of situation, and for that reason I am very careful about who he interacts with (always on his terms). I have too many stories about grown adults and children coming up to Ozzie and thinking just because 'they are good with dogs' that they can reach for him. Fortunately, no one has been stupid enough to try getting down and restraining him.

Thank goodness Kabota is such a tolerant boy. I will have little sympathy for the mother when the day comes that she has to watch her daughter be stitched up and scarred for life, or worse.
A vast majority of dogs would not be good in that kind of situation, I don't even think that friendly Buddy would react good to that situation sadly. When Izze was alive I had to be hyper vigilant everywhere she went with me back in the day when she was a young dog she was a bad ass :/. It's sad that no matter how good ones dog is its never good enough.

I wish mainstream parents would take up the slack >:/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts