Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 Dogs, ValleyBull and Yorkie both have allergies that came on in the summer, I go to the vets monthly and all they do is give a dose of antibiotics and steroids, They work while I am giving them, but once They are gone the itching and digging start all over again. By ValleyBull will have bumps and you can see his skin is red in some areas, I have tried changing food to lamb and rice and benedryl but that doesn't work at all, I am wondering if reactine would work, any help would be great, I even made my own food for awhile but it didn't work either,
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try a different meat protein in the dog food. Sometimes a fish formula will work and if that doesn't work try a venison, buffalo or duck formula. All of these are considered "hypoallergenic".

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Their allergies are seasonal, she said. So it's most likely not the food, but something in the air (pollen or something).

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have seen some great things with Severe allergy dogs on Atopica. It is expensive, but if a food trial did not work and you have tryed it all you may want to talk to your vet about it. worth a shot

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have seen some great things with Severe allergy dogs on Atopica. It is expensive, but if a food trial did not work and you have tryed it all you may want to talk to your vet about it. worth a shot
I use Atopica for my allergy dog and it works very well. No side affects and dosage can normally be reduced once in the dogs system and they are showing some relief. Yes it is expensive, but since you can't cure allergies only manage them this works better than steroids and antibiotics and without side affects.

For the more severe allergy cases that can't be managed with antihistamines, I highly recommend Atopica.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts