Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there people. I was walking home last night and saw a puppy sleeping on the street. It looks healthy and cute but his fur was a little dirty. I took it home and bought some puppy food in can. I think she's just about a month old or less(not really sure though). After feeding it, it pooped and then played with the paper cup I used to put his food into. After a while, it went to sleep. I noticed her jerking and her breathing is not quite consistent. It seems like she's sighing every now and then.
Can anyone tell me why she's like that? I never tried raising a puppy before on my own. I'm currently working 8 hours a day and kinda worried. I left her with a toy, a bed, some food and water. Any advise?

PS: When we played she barked once. I thought I can assume she's healthy but then she's too young. Will she survive? :(

PPS: I also scheduled an appointment with the vet this weekend cause I'm kinda worried.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What do you mean when you say that you scheduled a vet appointment for this weekend? Does that mean next weekend, a week from now? Because you should get the puppy to the vet ASAP.

What you're describing just sounds like she's dreaming. But she needs to get to the vet, because she probably has parasites and needs medicine, plus the vet will have puppy formula for you to give her if she's too young for canned food alone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean when you say that you scheduled a vet appointment for this weekend? Does that mean next weekend, a week from now? Because you should get the puppy to the vet ASAP.

What you're describing just sounds like she's dreaming. But she needs to get to the vet, because she probably has parasites and needs medicine, plus the vet will have puppy formula for you to give her if she's too young for canned food alone.
Hi there. I'm sorry. I just made an appointment later. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
693 Posts
good luck!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brother just called and the Vet says she's normal and stable but she's too young. She needs to take vitamins and puppy canned food is okay. Thank God. Anyway, thanks for your time. I'll post a pic when I get the chance. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well done on saving her and getting her to the vets it's difficult to think about but not everyone accepts the responsibility of looking after abandoned animals. I'm curious about how she came to be on the street so young, did you knock on a few doors or put up some posters about her? Or perhaps put an ad in the paper or on the internet. It's more of a precaution in case she wasn't abandoned and somehow she got away and there is people looking for her. In any case I'm looking forward to seeing a photo/s of her.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I agree with trying to locate her owner. Maybe you could take her picture and put it on a poster to pin up at local vets' offices and pet stores. Thanks for taking her in and helping her! I'd get a crate to keep her in, or your house may suffer. Also, I'd ask about flea prevention (if she ends up being old enough for it), or your house may be overrun with them. Another poster mentioned having her screened for worms and parasites - great idea! Even well cared for puppies can get those.

Get some good quality dry puppy food and mix with some water to soften it. A rule of thumb in a pet store is that the better kibbles start on one aisle, and tend to get progressively lower in quality towards the other aisles (Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Acana, Orijen, Evo, and Earthborn being examples of some good ones).

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Being that the OP is in the Philippines, it's probably a street dog and nobody is looking for it. And probably the few pet stores that exist aren't set out like a PetCo.

Glad to hear the puppy is healthy! Good for you for taking her in!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in the city, near the heart of Manila.In the Philippines in which I agree with Willowy, stray dogs are very common and this cute puppy is doomed to die on the streets. Too bad I live in a condominium and I can't take more than one. She's been playing with me the whole night and its hard to keep up. She now barks and I think that is and indication of a healthy puppy (?). May I ask, What is the best size of the crate/cage? And I've been giving her canned puppy food (Pedigree™). One problem is the potty training. I work 8hours a day so I put her in a large basket. But she's crying herself out and I pity her. Last night I let her sleep on the bed (japanese style, bed on tatami-like floor) but when I woke up, I found patches of pee in the kitchen. any advise on that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there people. I was walking home last night and saw a puppy sleeping on the street. It looks healthy and cute but his fur was a little dirty. I took it home and bought some puppy food in can. I think she's just about a month old or less(not really sure though). After feeding it, it pooped and then played with the paper cup I used to put his food into. After a while, it went to sleep. I noticed her jerking and her breathing is not quite consistent. It seems like she's sighing every now and then.
Can anyone tell me why she's like that? I never tried raising a puppy before on my own. I'm currently working 8 hours a day and kinda worried. I left her with a toy, a bed, some food and water. Any advise?

PS: When we played she barked once. I thought I can assume she's healthy but then she's too young. Will she survive? :(

PPS: I also scheduled an appointment with the vet this weekend cause I'm kinda worried.
I had a similar situation as you. I was walking home and found a 3 week old puppy being abandoned. I immediately said no, i will take her. I really think Dogs can sense these things.

This will be the greatest, most loyal dog you've ever owned. I guarantee it. My pup now is 20 weeks and she is extremely loyal & protective of me and my mother.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
- Pudd'nhead Wilson

I wish you luck with your new dog.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The best size crate to get is one that isn't too big but they have enough room to turn around and lay down comfortably. Because your pup is so small for now you might want to consider a cat carry crate, that's what I had to do for my 11 week old pup because she's a small breed. Now of course she's grown and we've got her a bigger crate which she loves. With the crying I would remember that she's so young and should still be with her mum, right now you are the one who looks after her ect. I wouldn't be surprised if she's crying because she doesn't want you going anywhere without her. A few things you could try is giving her a shirt of yours which smells of you and putting it in her basket/crate, this might help comfort her or you could get her a safe soft dog teddy so she can snuggle up to it, I wouldn't get her one with anything she can bite off like buttons. With my puppy we got her a filling free soft toy which she has loved since the minute she saw it. I'm not an expert by any means as i've not looked after such a young puppy but that did help my puppy.

I think the important question in regards to the potty issues is are you trying to train her to use pads, paper, a litter tray ect. Also are you waking up regularly during the night to take your pup to a designated potty area? If not then that's why she's peed in your kitchen. With my puppy during the night we had to wake up every 2 hours in the beginning but gradually we increased the time when Tori at the 2 hour mark would be asleep and reluctant to get out of her crate to potty.

Like I said before I'm not an expert but I hope some of this has helped I admire your dedication to your puppy. Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The best size crate to get is one that isn't too big but they have enough room to turn around and lay down comfortably. Because your pup is so small for now you might want to consider a cat carry crate, that's what I had to do for my 11 week old pup because she's a small breed. Now of course she's grown and we've got her a bigger crate which she loves. With the crying I would remember that she's so young and should still be with her mum, right now you are the one who looks after her ect. I wouldn't be surprised if she's crying because she doesn't want you going anywhere without her. A few things you could try is giving her a shirt of yours which smells of you and putting it in her basket/crate, this might help comfort her or you could get her a safe soft dog teddy so she can snuggle up to it, I wouldn't get her one with anything she can bite off like buttons. With my puppy we got her a filling free soft toy which she has loved since the minute she saw it. I'm not an expert by any means as i've not looked after such a young puppy but that did help my puppy.

I think the important question in regards to the potty issues is are you trying to train her to use pads, paper, a litter tray ect. Also are you waking up regularly during the night to take your pup to a designated potty area? If not then that's why she's peed in your kitchen. With my puppy during the night we had to wake up every 2 hours in the beginning but gradually we increased the time when Tori at the 2 hour mark would be asleep and reluctant to get out of her crate to potty.

Like I said before I'm not an expert but I hope some of this has helped I admire your dedication to your puppy. Good luck!
Every morning I feed her and wait for her to poop and pee. I used paper for this for easier cleaning. Then we walk a little on the rooftop and I wait for her to fall asleep in her basket. The same thing in the evening. After feeding her I do the same. Then I try to put out her energy by bringing her on the roof top so we could run around. Maybe I should do the every two-hour routine. Also, I'll try giving her my shirt the moment I step out of the door.

Thanks for the wonderful advices. :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I am so happy you rescued her! :) And, I'm so happy she is ok.
Potty training will be a challenge. Puppies don't really gain complete control of their bladder til about 6 months of age. So, she won't be able to hold it while you are at work. Can you come at lunch to give her a bit of attention and let her out to go to the bathroom?
If not, you can expect to come home to accidents in the house. Also, she should have at least 1-2 trips to the bathroom at night, since she is rather undeveloped at this point, and doesn't have the control an older puppy would have.

Also, since you are gone during the day at work, the only time you can actively potty train her is before and after work. So, just make sure you do everything in your power to prevent accidents by watching her closely, and taking her potty often.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am so happy you rescued her! :) And, I'm so happy she is ok.
Potty training will be a challenge. Puppies don't really gain complete control of their bladder til about 6 months of age. So, she won't be able to hold it while you are at work. Can you come at lunch to give her a bit of attention and let her out to go to the bathroom?
If not, you can expect to come home to accidents in the house. Also, she should have at least 1-2 trips to the bathroom at night, since she is rather undeveloped at this point, and doesn't have the control an older puppy would have.

Also, since you are gone during the day at work, the only time you can actively potty train her is before and after work. So, just make sure you do everything in your power to prevent accidents by watching her closely, and taking her potty often.

Good luck! :)
Yes, accidents were a bit problematic. But as long as it's a dog, my patience is quite long. :) Also, the shirt thing was wonderful. I tried putting my hand inside her basket for a while and when she fell asleep, i tried putting my shirt beside her then removed my hand. No more waking up crying every now and then! When I woke up she's quite rested and playful that I came late to office. But it's no problem to me. thanks people. :) I named her Kei which I think the Japanese term for blessing. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts