Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benji gets walked *six* times a day to help prevent him from peeing in the house. It doesn't work. I have always been impressed with the fact that he doesn't pee on the carpets, only on the hard surfaces of the kitchen and bathroom.

Now I know why. Although I am scrupulous in spraying the areas with enzymatic cleaner, my DW goes behind me with cleaners that invariably contain AMMONIA!! I have tried to explain to her that when she sprays ammonia around the bathroom and kitchen she is giving this dog an incentive to pee in the house (he was not neutered until the age of five or so).

If she insists on using a "disinfectant," what product can she use that will not make the problem worse?

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Vinegar can do wonders and is known to be a useful disinfectant

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, dear. Ammonia will definitely encourage animals to urinate... Use a product made for pet odor. Nature's Miracle or even vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in spray bottles (not mixed together). Spray one, then the other, then wipe.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
What Xeph said.

Also:
You may have to go back to basics. Put the leash through your belt loop in a slip knot and attach it to the pooch's collar. Umbillical(sp?) training. Make a schedule. Take him out every two or three hours. Reward with high value treats when he pees outside. I know it's a pain in the butt but it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
The problem he's having 4IC, is that he does this...but his WIFE goes behind him and "disinfects" with ammonia based cleaners x.x

(Of course, maybe you understood this and I'm just stupid...I'm under a lot of stress xD)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Tofu pup's idea of going back to basics is great, but if you are lazy or can't be attached, consider using a Belly band; this will allow you to not have to keep such a close eye..
Good luck with Benji and the wife...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem he's having 4IC, is that he does this...but his WIFE goes behind him and "disinfects" with ammonia based cleaners x.x

(Of course, maybe you understood this and I'm just stupid...I'm under a lot of stress xD)
Quite right, thank you. He is walked at 7am, 12pm (never pees in the house before then), 3pm, 6pm, 8pm and 11pm. I walk him all but the first of those times which is why I'm miffed.

To make matters worse, I think the cats peeing and pooping in the bathroom stimulate him :(

I think the problem is partly that the dog has never lived in an apartment before (but then again it's a freaking year now), partly that he was used to raising his leg until he was older, and partly that to him the house always smells like pee (ammonia based cleaners).

I think my wife might like the peroxide/vinegar solution. It will appeal to her sense of hygiene as well as thrift. I hope I never see another bottle of Fantastik in this house!

It's always something with dogs, so far as we're concerned. Our last dog could hold his water for 12 hours if necessary but he bit if aroused. This dog is the sweetest ever but boy does he like to pee!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
all of our dogs were neutered as adults (after their racing careers) but they are still expected (and taught) not to pee in the house. Even unaltered dogs can be house trained.

You may want to look into belly bands for times you can't watch him.

I use a product in our kennel called 256 solution available from PetEdge. Pretty much kills everything you need it to kill and is pet safe. One gallon of it makes 256 gallons so it's pretty cheap when you factor out the cost. I also use it in the house b/c it's a great cleaner - esp in the bathroom...makes everything sparkle with no effort! The only thing it won't clean is glass.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all of our dogs were neutered as adults (after their racing careers) but they are still expected (and taught) not to pee in the house. Even unaltered dogs can be house trained.

You may want to look into belly bands for times you can't watch him.

I use a product in our kennel called 256 solution available from PetEdge. Pretty much kills everything you need it to kill and is pet safe. One gallon of it makes 256 gallons so it's pretty cheap when you factor out the cost. I also use it in the house b/c it's a great cleaner - esp in the bathroom...makes everything sparkle with no effort! The only thing it won't clean is glass.
I looked this up and yes, it does seem like the exact answer to my post. Thanks! It makes me laugh though that every new product I find for this 18lb dog requires me to buy more than a year's worth :rolleyes:

Just recently I decided the pro-biotic for us was from Nature's Farmacy because they emphasised organism concentration and shelf life. At a 1/4 tsp a day, it will take Benji two years to use that up. They make an 8oz unit which I'll order in 2011.

That said "Top Performance 256 Disinfectant" sounds like what we need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts