Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I was recently at the flea market & saw sargents gold flea drops for a dollar (i know I know lol) & couldn't resist thr deal & picked up a couple of boxes. But I got home & stumbled across an article written by this lady whose dog almost died from a reaction to this product.

But unknow they can also get reactions from thr 'good' stuff too, my question is is it safe for me to use? I have used many OTC flea meds over the yrs (I just can't afford frontline or advantix :( ) without a prob.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sergeant's Gold and Sergeant's Silver flea products using Cyphenothrin have had many reported toxic reaction problems. Just like many other products that use Permethrin have had many dogs become very sick due to toxic reaction. OTC products are often cheap for a reason and I will not take a chance. Google is your friend...

I understand very well how important it is to control cost and do the very best you can for our pets, however , if your pet becomes sick you have not saved anything.

I would save money somewhere else, for example: buy dog food online and use discount coupon codes and also get free delivery to your door. I have bought Earthborn prim natural for about $1.50 per pound delivered.

I buy Frontline Plus from a trusted source online in the extra large dog dose size and split up the needed dose by weight between my 10 hounds.

Be careful and don't cut cost and risk health issues with furkids as they trust us to make informed decisions in there best interest.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
You buy something at a flea market, come home and research it, find horrible reviews and you still ask if you should use it? Didn't you also ask about a dog food you got that smelled funny or something, dog wouldn't eat it and you ask if you should feed it, give it away or what?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'd toss it. The stuff has a bad rep. for having fatal reactions. Not much of a savings when it costs your pet their life...

Personally I dont purchase anything under the Sargets or Hartz labels. I wont support a company that puts dangerous products on shelves.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I do not trust Sargents products nor Hartz (sargents has something to do with Hartz if I remember correctly). Personally I would toss it.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I wouldn't let it touch my dogs that's for sure. That is how you give your dogs chemical burns. Spend the $$ and get the good stuff.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On another forum I am on someone suggested using baking soda & essential (citronella oil is the easiest to find they say) & make. Older & dust it it on the dog , I might try that.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hi guys I was recently at the flea market & saw sargents gold flea drops for a dollar (i know I know lol) & couldn't resist thr deal & picked up a couple of boxes. But I got home & stumbled across an article written by this lady whose dog almost died from a reaction to this product.

But unknow they can also get reactions from thr 'good' stuff too, my question is is it safe for me to use? I have used many OTC flea meds over the yrs (I just can't afford frontline or advantix :( ) without a prob.
I've been in the vets office when people have called in for help with OTC flea medication reactions. So I can't think it is uncommon and I would NEVER use Sargents anything, and would steer clear of something that cheap (there's probably a reason why it is that cheap). Frontline is now OTC and my vet has quit carrying it, but my feed store (which is about a mile from my house) does. It's not cheap though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts