Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog got diagnosed with mange (by sight). Both day sI went to the vet, the power was out, so they couldnt do any actual testing. They gave her two shots of ivermectin (a week apart each). Said after the second shot everything should be fine. They asked me to prevent contact because we could get it too. Third week (one week after second shot), don't see improvement. She's not scratching or anything but I see new bald spots that weren't there before and MORE dandruff like stuff on her body. There's no other vet in a wide range near my home, and I dont want to go for a third shot if it isn't going to work. What are YOUR experiences with mange? After the treatment does it seem to get worse before getting better? She's NOT itching at all. Or should I just get over it and run down to the vet again? And WHEN can I touch my dog? Both visits Ive asked this and they havent told me :\

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Yay, because demodex isn't contagious to humans so you can cuddle her all she wants. It can take time to clear up. I fostered two pups with demodex and they were prescribed oral ivermectin, a small bit each day. Part of it is just the immune system getting strong enough to fight the demodex mites that all dogs have so she should get better in time with treatment just fine. Good nutrition and low stress will help.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup! I'm actually excited that its only that. She had been "quarantined" for three weeks mislead about being sarcoptic. She was given oral medicine and a Lyme dip. Gotta go back in three weeks ^_^ She still has unexplained alopecia but so far seems as healthy as she can be for all her ups and down lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts