Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

It will be a while till I actually contact a breeder, but I am just planning ahead. I have considered a lot of breeds and thought about what kind of a companion would suit our lifestyle. I've heard samoyeds are very active, kind and loyal, which I believe would suit us very well and vice versa. This is probably what my life will look like next autumn, if nothing surprising happens:

- Live alone in an apartment for two, as my boyfriend serves in the army (mandatory where I live in, though he's ''only'' there for a year)

- Size of the apartment between 35 sqm - 56 sqm. Location in a small town in the middle of nature, surrounded by forest. Two dog parks nearby, a lake not far away.

- The dog would be alone 5-6 hours at most during a normal weekday as I attend lessons. Though mostly the lessons are scarce, so it's likely I'd be away only 2 to 4 hours most days, and not at all other days (even 4 free days a week)

- There might be periods if I go to work that the dog might have to be alone 6 to 8 hours a day without my boyfriend at home yet. Would it be likely I'd have to pay someone to visit and take it for a walk?

- The climate is quite cold, we have a saying that 'summer only lasts a day here'. The air conditioning of the apartment is good. We might even move norther in the future.

- I'm a very active person and love to exercise with dogs. I'd exercise and play with the dog daily; when I took care of a husky mix through Pawshake I usually went to 1 to 2 hour walks / running with it. I'd also do something else with my dog; skijoring in the winter, frisbee, hiking and other exercise when there's no snow. My boyfriend is also very athletic and his hobbies include skiing and hunting. I'd think I'd most always have time for 2 hours min exercise a day, and longer sessions a couple of times a week.

- I haven't had a dog yet but I've walked and taken care of all kinds of dogs from a Papillon to a Leonberger. I'm also acquainted with how to care and train dogs, will choose a breeder that can help me if needed, and can also ask for help from my experienced sister if I face problems.

- Financially, the army would pay the rent or most of it, and I'd get student welfare money to get by.

Do you have experience with a samoyed or a similar dog? Do you think the size of the apartment and the fact the dog should not bark too much will be a problem? How stubborn or difficult to train these dogs are in your experience? I am just thinking if I should give up checking out samoyed breeders and kennels and samoyed mixes already, or if it's okay for the dog to live in an apartment as long as exercised a lot.

You can also suggest other breeds! We've thought about aussies and mixed dogs as well. I'd like a dog that is generally people-friendly and not too bull-headed, a dog I can exercise and hike and ski with.

Thanks for help in advance!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I loved my Sammy/cross. Was military often found myself getting to a new area and being in an apartment or a place that didn't have a fenced in yard. Hew was a good dog, was paitent when my hours were more demanding, could take him anywhere and he enjoyed all animals. I find it best to speak with a breeder and ask what she loves about the breed, and what she loves about her individual dogs. That always gives you a good idea of what to expect from her puppys.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I raised my samoyed mix* in an apartment! As long as you're dedicated to giving them the required mental/physical exercise, it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that might be an issue is noise - sammys can be quite vocal, although not necessarily with barking. They make all kinds of fantastic noises which may or may not carry, depending on how into howling yours is, haha.

My Samoyed mix acts much more like her herder parts than her spitz parts. We had her DNA tested and I've encountered other people who were sold "purebred" Samoyed puppies that look nearly identical to her; at least one of those people saw the parents, and said they were recognizably Samoyed, so we're fairly confident in the results. She is smart and can be busy, but isn't super high energy (energy requirements can be conditioned, to an extent). She LOVES training, running, and chasing balls. She's mostly good - the "bad" things she does are things that I haven't bothered to train.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts