Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a medical emergency or really a concern at all. Also, I know that I've posted quite a bit about Brae and his bowel movements in the past. I want to update and say that although he had bowel issues in his first year, he has been pretty normal as he matured. In this last year, I've liberally given him dog treats, cheese, chicken and meats of all kinds, raw and cooked, fish, shrimp, apple cores, bread, chips, yogurt, veggies... You get the idea. I don't think twice about giving him a different food or different ingredients. And he's been fine. Sure, maybe every now and then his poop is softer than perfect. And if he poops three times in a day, generally his 3rd poop will be soft. But if he has a softer stool he is guaranteed to be normal the next day. No probiotics, fasting, or meds. No urgency to go. And I have also found that his stool is linked to his exercise as well (more intense exercise leading to softer stool).

However, the only time he's had BAD diarrhea... explosive, watery, uncontrollable... In the last year-ish, is if I give him a raw marrow bone. And to quantify, this has been maybe 5 times in the last year. However, I have also given him one or two marrow bones that did NOT result in diarrhea. I also have given him smoked marrow bones (with marrow in them) that have not resulted in diarrhea. He can have bleached-white femur heads and grind those down. The last two times (the third bone I've given him before this was fine) I've deliberately given him a marrow bone and kept track, he's had bad diarrhea within 24 hours. With a bit of fasting (no meds or supplements) he returns to perfect/solid/normal within 24 hours. So his recovery is great too. I am pretty certain it is not caused by anything else, like eating food on the street. He is generally not that food motivated and doesn't pick stuff off the ground. He doesn't even try too hard to get all the marrow out, or pick the bones as spotlessly clean as I've seen most other dogs do. He is never outside unsupervised. Also, everything is covered in snow right now.

So what I'm confused about is the inconsistency. I want to keep giving him bones because I've seen him eat bones and raw meat with no ill effect. In my experience they are also the best for cleaning teeth. And Brae really does enjoy them! But I'm at a loss as to why he can be okay or just totally explosive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is there a difference in the way the bones have been stored before being fed? It may not be possible to pinpoint the cause but I would be tempted to try and make a note of his reactions after being fed each bone and see if a pattern emerges. Have they all been frozen for instance, people think freezing means safe, it is not always the case. it depends on freezer temperature, speed of freezing, time spent in the freezer. A low temperature only slows decay, it does not arrest it completely, which is why even frozen goods usually have an eat by date on the packaging (in the UK, don't know about other countries). Also some harmful bacteria are killed by low temperatures and some only by heat. Just throwing a few ideas out. Having diarrhoea for 24 hours only means his body is getting rid of something potentially harmful quickly as dogs are good at doing if they are basically healthy.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I wonder if it has to do with the individual animal that the bone comes from. Like one has more fat than the other, that type of thing, or one is just more rich than the other. Maybe try giving him a spoonful of pumpkin before or after a marrow bone. Have you considered giving him raw meaty bones instead of the marrow bones, that he can consume completely? The actual ingestion of the bone might be enough to keep him from getting the runs.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried a lot of different things. In fact, not too long ago I gave him a raw marrow bone much like the one that caused diarrhea recently, and even pushed out ALL the remaining marrow for him to eat, and he was fine. The one two days ago wasn't even picked clean and had 70-80% of the marrow left; my dog is just not crazy food motivated.

Two bones that have caused diarrhea were freezer burned for about a year. However, I consulted with a vet and she said although it makes it more unpalatable for people, there shouldn't be any risk from eating freezer burned products.

I've tried ribs and necks. He throws up if he swallows any bone the size of a chicken vertebrae or bigger. Ribs inevitably have that remnant of spine, and turkey necks caused regurgitation (not vomiting). Its not a 'sick' kind of vomiting. Some dogs just regurgitate more easily than others. This part doesn't worry me but I avoid those types of chews so I don't have to clean up :)

I'll probably continue to try different raw bones (making sure someone is available to provide potty breaks in a 48 hour window) in the future. This is just a head scratcher!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I tried and failed with marrow bones too. Didn't try RMB for years after due to that bad experience. Beef ribs worked out fine even though the meat is just about as fatty as bacon. Sassy would swallow the little spine bone so I removed it before giving it to her. It isn't fun but get a pointy knife and eventually I figure out how to remove it. Max was good, he'd pull it off and leave it. Try whole neck bones. The spines are fun to chew and you throw away the heavy disc bit. I found pork neck at a real butcher, they were displayed whole then cut into pieces to sell.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I've been dealing with unexplained diarrhea with Bella since she was a pup. I even kept a journal on an Excel sheet to see if there was any pattern in relation to food, snacks or activity. Nothing other than the obvious that I could tell. Small things like opening up a new bag of the same food or the Heartguard will set it off...but I expect those things and prepare for them...lol Then there's just spontaneous combustion that comes out of nowhere. <ugh>

I found out early on that marrow bones were NOT Bella's friend. She loved them soooo much and they kept her busy for minutes, but she'd always have runny poos the next day. I gave up on them for good after they made her REALLY sick and she ended up in emergency for two days. She trys to annihilate the bone and ends up swallowing bone shards that cut up her intestines....and the bacteria from the raw marrow set up shop and made her super sick super fast. These were good, fresh bones from the meat shop up the road, too.

Honestly, I'd ditch the raw marrow bones. Make some bone broth ice cubes or something instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts