Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Always be on the alert for any dogs not on leases. If you see someone else walking from the other direction, I hold on tighter or cross the street depending on the look of the dog.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Carry the smelly bag of poop with you all the way home...if the smell doesn't deter an attacker, a smack across the face with a poo bag just might have them thinking twice.

ok...on a more serious note...relating to cellphones. If you ever feel someone "stalking" you, pretend you just got a call and say things about where you are, and that "so and so" is waiting for you at home or something.

You could also take a self defense course. Although I must say, I don't know how effective they really are...I'm a black belt in karate, and even with all the self defense techniques that are ingrained into my memory, I'm pretty sure my first reaction will be to go for the groin in a real life situation.

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I am in a neighborhood I look for homes that look like people are in them. That way if I run into trouble, I can go knock on a door. Not that this is the safest idea, but it probably beats facing someone on my own. Since I live in a college town there are many frat houses, I might even walk into one with the door open.

I always keep my phone on me, no matter if I have a purse or a backpack, it stays on my body either in my pants pocket or other interesting places. When I am jogging I keep it in my sports bra that way it is hidden but on my actual person if needed. And if someone stole my purse or backpack I have my phone still to call an emergency.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Carry the smelly bag of poop with you all the way home...if the smell doesn't deter an attacker, a smack across the face with a poo bag just might have them thinking twice.
I don't lol a lot but that snuck it out of me. xD

I have a reflective collar that fit my 3 dogs, it flashes too. I'm ALWAYS talking to someone when I'm walking too.

After having Shunka tackled by 2 labs I started to carry pepper spray. Those 2 have been PTS now after being abandon by their owners, but there are still other dog out there.

I also carry an extra leash with me incase I come across a loose dog I know, or something happens to mine.

·
Banned
414 Posts
My standard answer when someone asks if my dog is friendly is "He is as long as you are." I don't say this to children of course. Max is very friendly but I have no doubt that he would protect me if needed.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
LOL oh man I have SO thought of this every time I'm walking back with Zoey and a bag of poo after dark... Good to know I'm not the only one! :-D

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
if you get attacked...

fight dirty. but don't panic.

prime targets for dirty fighting...

eyeballs
man parts
the backside of the knee(if you hit here hard enough you can knock anyone down)
ears
armpits
and if it happens to be a woman, boobies.

also. Scream "FIRE!!!!" and keep screaming it.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Or, you know, *actually* call someone ;)
hahah! yes, that too. I'm a dolt!

if you get attacked...

fight dirty. but don't panic.

prime targets for dirty fighting...

eyeballs
man parts
the backside of the knee(if you hit here hard enough you can knock anyone down)
ears
armpits
and if it happens to be a woman, boobies.

also. Scream "FIRE!!!!" and keep screaming it.
Nose hurts too, AND makes their eyes water. Two in one!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I dont have anything to add to the advice that others have already given. I just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread MoonStr80. There are some great ideas that people should know about.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
LOL! I suspect I'll remember this every time I bring a bag home after a walk now . . .

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great tips here! The only thing I can add...from personal experience...
I was out walking my dogs when a guy actually stopped his car got out of his car and whistled for my dogs to come to him. He was acting very weird and of course, I kept on walking because I didn't feel comfortable with the situation...he turned his truck around in the middle of the road to come back by where I was at. I wasn't at my home yet but, decided to walk up into another yard and go to that houses door like it was my own and he turned around in his truck and left us alone. Anyway...all that to say, if you are ever in a similar situation and not by your own house, walking up to another house like it is where you live might make someone leave you alone.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

I uh...actually have thrown a bag of poo. Some idiots were yelling from their car at me. "Show me yo titties...". No. I untied the baggy and pushed the poo to the top toothpaste style. And I launched it at them hitting the driver side door barely missing the driver leaning out the door. They certainly changed what they were yelling.
And that's why you don't antagonize pedestrians while stuck in a red light in busy traffic.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Cattle prod for loose dogs. Walking stick (bad knee and well, it is a BIG stick...)...

German Shepherd dog.... tho she is the ambassador for the Friendliest Dogs on Earth Club, and I know it, other ppl don't need to know it.. so when they ask if she is friendly my reply is 'sometimes...'

I have walked her in the city and actually had ppl cross to the other side of the street when they see me an' my dog coming. Maybe its the cattle prod....

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I must be the worst dog walker ever as I don't take anything with me on my walks other than keys to get back in the house. I trust that my neighborhood is safe enough. I don't even carry a cell phone or my wallet or anything when I'm walking. Just the dog.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts