Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see and hear everyone warning about using Heartgard because it contains Ivermectin which is a problem for dogs with the MDR1 mutation (shelties, for one). In fact, the WSU test states the following about its use:

While the dose of ivermectin used to prevent heartworm infection is SAFE in dogs with the mutation (6 micrograms per kilogram), higher doses, such as those used for treating mange (300-600 micrograms per kilogram) will cause neurological toxicity in dogs that are homozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant) and can cause toxicity in dogs that are heterozygous for the mutation (mutant/normal).​

So people recommend either Sentinel or Interceptor, which contain Milbemycin oxide. The SAME report states the following about that drug:

Similar to ivermectin, these drugs are safe in dogs with the mutation if used for heartworm prevention at the manufacturer's recommended dose. Higher doses (generally 10-20 times higher than the heartworm prevention dose) have been documented to cause neurological toxicity in dogs with the MDR1 mutation.​

So why do people swear at one and swear by the other. To me, it sounds like they are both bad if given in excessive doses.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I have this problem with Hawkeye Only Hawk's sire was tested and his test came back N/M (a carrier of the MDR1) but his dam was never tested so I don't know if she carried it or not so I don't know what the chances are of Hawk having it. I supose I will get him tested someday

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have two rough collies and only use interceptor. Not only do I not want to take a chance with my dogs but interceptor also kills whipworms. Heartgard plus does not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts