Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been using Interceptor for many years now with no problems. But I heard its no longer on the market. I need a heartworm preventative that's safe and preferably been around for a while. If its any help, I have a small 15lb terrier and a 42lb ACD/chow mix.

Much appreciated,

ember

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Around here at least you're pretty much stuck with Heartguard or one of it's generics (active ingredient Ivermectin) or Trifexis, which contains the same active ingredient as Interceptor, as well as an oral anti-flea medication. I wouldn't say one is any safer than the other, unless you've got a collie that is sensitive to ivermectin. But ACD's are not an affected breed, nor are terriers and chows. Even if they were, most can handle the low dosages used for heartworm prevention, just not the higher dosages used for treating mange or an existing heartworm infection.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch, kafkabeetle, :) I looked in to them and I'm leaning toward Heartgard. Now all I got to do is get a prescription for it.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Thanks a bunch, kafkabeetle, :) I looked in to them and I'm leaning toward Heartgard. Now all I got to do is get a prescription for it.
No problem. I ended up having to switch from Interceptor to Iverhart Plus (a Heartguard generic).

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Around here at least you're pretty much stuck with Heartguard or one of it's generics (active ingredient Ivermectin) or Trifexis, which contains the same active ingredient as Interceptor, as well as an oral anti-flea medication. I wouldn't say one is any safer than the other, unless you've got a collie that is sensitive to ivermectin. But ACD's are not an affected breed, nor are terriers and chows. Even if they were, most can handle the low dosages used for heartworm prevention, just not the higher dosages used for treating mange or an existing heartworm infection.
Fleas have nothing to do with heartworm, fleas = tapeworm. Heartworm comes from mosquitoes.

From my understanding the way any heartworm "preventative" works is to kill the microfilariae already inside the dog. It doesn't prevent mosquitoes from biting or infecting your dog, it prevents the microfilariae from turning into adult worms.
http://www.heartwormsociety.org/veterinary-resources/canine-guidelines.html

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fleas have nothing to do with heartworm, fleas = tapeworm. Heartworm comes from mosquitoes.

From my understanding the way any heartworm "preventative" works is to kill the microfilariae already inside the dog. It doesn't prevent mosquitoes from biting or infecting your dog, it prevents the microfilariae from turning into adult worms.

Trifexis is an oral medication that treats both. It has an acitve ingredient for flea prevention and heart worm treatment and control.

In reality, I think the only chemicals that are actual "preventatives" are topicals like revolution and K9 Advantix - but it's your decision.

Personally, we are now using noromectin and administering ourselves, after lots of research and speaking with breeders. It's insanely cheaper and can be even more effective than heartgard.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts

I am aware. There are two separate medications in Trifexis. One prevents/kills heartworm (milbemycin oxime-- active ingredient in Interceptor) and the other prevents/kills fleas (spinosad-- active ingredient in Comfortis).

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I didn't know Trifexis did both! Thanks :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts